Looking for Websites/long post

  • Valerie
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2009
      Hello Everyone! I am looking for websites that have antique needlework pieces, supplies or tools, either for sale, or on display that have information relating to their value. I have checked the links here at the group page, but more would be wonderful.
      I have a good friend who is clearing up the estate of his 90+ great aunt, who was an avid stitcher and collector. He has no idea of the value of the the pieces she had, but I have assured him from the few items I have been shown that is not going to end up an insignificant sum. I would like to be able to direct him to some sites so he may gain an understanding of what he should watch for. I can begin a hunt myself of course, but I thought perhaps many of you already have places you are very familiar with that would be of value.
      He has embroidered garments averaging 100-150 years old, fine sets of scissors, threads from all over the world, and many, many framed needlepoint & other technique pieces. I am completing one for him in needlepoint that she left unfinished that he would like to keep. It is a very large picture of an English lady cutting her initials into a tree, with her spaniel at her side.
      I am concerned that the auction company he has engaged may not place proper significance to the textiles she left; not all firms have people who know these things. He may ask me to assist him in the sale of this portion of her estate. I was able to identify and explain everything he has shown me so far, and he did not know what any of it was.
      I appreciate any assistance anyone can provide, :>)
      ~Valerie Kalyani