Re: Class: Recreating late 16th-early 17th c. woman's jacket

  • lilinah@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 25, 2009
      I attended the lecture "The Plimoth Jacket - A Paradise in Silk and Gold" given by Tricia Wilson Nguyen on Saturday, April 18th, at Needle in a Haystack in Alameda.

      This is the much blogged about, and almost ill-fated, reproduction of a 1620s era embroidered English woman's waistcoat, embellished with coiling patterns, flowers, and insects in gold and silk. I love these coats, although i don't have a persona who'd wear them.

      It was great to see the slides of several existing jackets and learn how the project was planned and carried out. Those of us there also got to sew gold spangles onto the coif and forehead cloth - so we could hold in our hands and see the amazing work. This project actually saved a silk thread manufacturer (for which we should be grateful) and resulted in the commercial production of reproduction threads that blend silk with silver or gold threads (i've got to go back and buy some) and some wonderful gold threads reproduced in a more period fashion than many commonly available.

      Of great value (especially to us in the SCA) was learning how they recreated the pattern through an analysis of existing embroidered items - to which they were given access by the curator at the V&A, how commercial/professional embroiderers' workshops worked, and the repeated use of prepared pattern grids. And it was heartening to learn how people in the SCA and our form of "experimental archaeology" was useful. In fact, while the American museum community at first was skeptical of the project, a curator at the V&A in England was a great help, and the project has been so successful in ways they did not first imagine, that the American museum community is now very interested in and supportive of it.

      And it was exciting to learn about plans for two books, one to be a coffee-table art book on this type of embroidery and the items adorned with it, the other with detailed information about the stitches used, threads, and more of interest to embroiderers.

      There was also some more inside information about the changes at Plimoth Plantation which almost killed the jacket project, how the project was saved, and what is going on with it now.

      Also, we learned that the Layton jacket has been removed from display at the V&A because it is suffering from deterioration due to being on display so long, and when it may go back up, if ever, is uncertain.

      Some of the information about the project is at:
      http://www.thistle-threads.com/blog

      -------
      Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
      the persona formerly known as Anahita
    • Chiara Francesca
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 25, 2009
        That was a great read!

        Thank you so much for share that with us. I really want to make a road trip to the Plimoth plantation as they have actual Elizabethan and Jacobean gloves in house and I would love to just sit and get to know every millimeter of them. :)

        Maybe we can all plan a trip out that way this summer. I do have a couple of pairs of gloves to deliver to them :D

        Chiara Francesca
        « Ehi Prof.! Che cosa facciamo stasera?»
        « Quello che facciamo tutte le sere, Mignolo: tentare di conquistare il mondo! »
        (hint: italian)