laying thread and tools

  • Krista Barber
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 16, 2001
      Hi all - I've run across the notion that laying thread with a
      laying tool as you stitch is a good idea, esp. for silks. I,
      however, have no idea what this is all about. Can someone take the
      time to give me (and possibly everyone else) a little primer about
      the pros and cons of doing this, how to do it, and what to do it
      with? Many thanks.

      Aileth

      Are these good things to use?
      http://stitchers-paradise.com/Display_Case/DC_Laying_Tools_Items.html
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 17, 2001
        Using a laying tool is truly a matter of choice. Try using one and
        not using one on your doodle cloth and see which works better for
        you. You will need to be able to use both hands with a laying tool
        to you will need something to hold your fabric and something to hold
        the holder -- scroll or slate frame and table, lap, or floor frame.

        The following article has a short description of how to use a laying tool
        http://hometown.aol.com/hblossomxs/laying.html

        In addition, you may consider using different types of laying tools
        for different threads or different needs (i.e. different spacing of
        threads).

        Hope this helps. By the way, I'm responding to the list for
        questions which may be of general interest.

        Minister, Kingdom of the West Needleworkers Guild
        http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle
        WKNeedle@yahoogroups.com

        "So simple, so beautiful, so easy - ask me how."