silk thread

  • Krista Barber
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 15, 2001
      Greetings, fellow stitchers - here's a question I'm almost
      certain has been run through before: where's the best places either
      online or in store to buy silk thread? DMC's cottons are good enough
      for perioid things, but when I need to exhibit preiodness, silk is
      the key. The only thing is I've never had to be period before! Any
      pointers would be much appreciated.

      Aileth
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 15, 2001
        Needle In A Hay Stack in Alameda is the best for variety and color.
        However, they do not carry Eterna Silk and I am informed that their
        Mini Twist is the closest to period silk. Both have online presences.

        ----------------

        Minister, Kingdom of the West Needleworkers Guild
        http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle
        WKNeedle@yahoogroups.com

        "So simple, so beautiful, so easy - ask me how."

      • Barbara Wieskamp
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 15, 2001
          Does anyone know where I can get one or more whole
          undyed ostrich feathers in the San Francisco East Bay?
          I have a source for peacock feathers, but not
          ostrich. Please reply.

          Mairghread Sgoilear

          http://personals.yahoo.com
        • octaviajr
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 29, 2004
            I finally checked out our guild page and I like the links to stores
            to order silk thread. Better late than never. I live in the middle
            of nowhere. What I would like to know is what is the recommended type
            of silk thread to order? Thank you Octavia
          • Debra Cobb
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 31, 2004
              Hi Octavia,

              I saw your email on WKNeedle and was wondering what type of project you were
              planning to do?
              Will it be counted work or surface embroidery work or open work? And what
              type of fabric were you planning to use....silk?linen?wool? Also, if it is
              linen...do you know what count it is? Also, was there a certain
              culture/period that you had in mind for your project?

              Hopefully, the answers to these questions can help everyone on this list
              narrow down the answer to your questions since there are many types of silk
              thread available.

              Thanks,

              Isela
              I finally checked out our guild page and I like the links to stores
              to order silk thread. Better late than never. I live in the middle
              of nowhere. What I would like to know is what is the recommended type
              of silk thread to order? Thank you Octavia

              follow the directions. If you have problems doing this, please e-mail the
              Guild Deputy, Christian de Holacombe, at <claning@...>. The WK
              Needleworkers Guild Website is at http://www.bayrose.org/wkneedle.