Irish Patterns

  • Sarah
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 29, 2008
      Any good, inexpensive (preferably free) female Irish patterns anyone
      knows out there? I am just getting started plus I am a poor college
      student. Thank you.
    • Heather Rose Jones
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2008
        I'm sorry -- I hadn't realized that the mailing list is set up to
        reply to sender, not to the list, so I accidentally responded directly
        to Sarah (and she back directly to me). I'm returning the discussion
        to the general list in hopes that someone other than me will have
        useful pointers.

        On Dec 30, 2008, at 9:16 PM, Sarah wrote:

        > On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 11:35 AM, Heather Rose Jones <heather.jones@...
        > > wrote:
        >
        > On Dec 29, 2008, at 9:19 PM, Sarah wrote:
        >
        > Any good, inexpensive (preferably free) female Irish patterns anyone
        > knows out there? I am just getting started plus I am a poor college
        > student. Thank you.
        >
        > Could you be a little more specific? Patterns for clothing or
        > embroidery? Patterns for any particular time-period? What level of
        > historic accuracy are you interested in?
        >
        > Tangwystyl
        > I want to be as accurate as I can. I would also like to be earlier
        > in period, the only things I can find seem to be late period. and I
        > was hoping both embroidery and clothing, I want to learn and try new
        > things.

        Early period Irish is, by definition, going to involve a lot of
        extrapolation and guesswork. What we have to work from are highly
        stylized depictions of clothing in manuscript art, and some not
        particularly specific descriptions in literature. There are
        descriptions that suggest decorative needlework, but not much in the
        way of solid evidence for any particular techniques, motifs, or
        applications.

        For published sources, Mairead Dunlevy's "Dress in Ireland: A History"
        is an essential starting point (and quite affordable, currently in
        print in paperback).

        There are a number of web sites that tackle the questions of what we
        know and don't know about medieval Irish clothing (although many focus
        on the relatively late part of our period). One fairly reliable one
        is Cass McGann's Irish pages:

        https://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish.php?c=8&d=100&w=1&r=Y

        That's a bit of a start, anyway.

        Tangwystyl