textured silk in period

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 28, 2008
      wanted to send an update on the textured silk I mentioned a while back....

      Found a few photographs of textured silk pieces which led me to look
      for others. Put them together in a collection called "Textured Silk in
      Period " and the paper is now on the guild website: mktag.org in the
      projects section.(under papers). Have had rather airy evidence textured
      silk was used in period but couldn't link it with being used by
      Royalty-can now do so.

      The pictures in the collection aren't the greatest-found a number of
      better quality pictures, however, tried to limit those selected for the
      paper to be "linked" with persons of first or second estate. I've looked
      at a number of pictures of the Coronation Mantle of Roger II but the
      only book I found which had a clear enough picture to see the texture
      was_ The Book of Silk_ by Philippa Scott . If anyone is aware of other
      pictures where the texture can be clearly seen and is linked to Royalty,
      please let me know.

      The original Viking finds were omitted the paper-to be sure, the cuff is
      textured silk but am still waiting for information from the hosting
      musuem on the metalwork piece. Will put together a paper on the silk
      cuff and hope it will be available in the next month or so. Have been
      working on a piece that "looks" like the metalwork from the cloak but am
      not altogether happy with the results.
      Keep it fun!
      Lucia
      http://mktag.org/