Re: Could you please advise me on building my Embroidery Library (long)

  • Cassandra McCraw
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 18 10:10 AM
      At 05:42 PM 2/17/2008, Velvet Claw wrote:
      >Jane D Zimmerman - Art of Elizabethan Embroidery (tho not from Amazon)

      I got my copy from Mad Samplar Books for $20.00. It is a
      self-published book and is spiral bound. I think it was originally
      designed as a teaching guide (perhaps for EGA?). Here is a teaser:

      http://madsamplarbooks.com/ArtofElizabethanEmb.htm

      She has very good stitch diagrams (except for the plaited braid, but
      I had to work out my own way of doing that stitch....YMMV). This book
      covers the "polychrome silk and metal swirls" style that is so
      evocative of Elizabethan work. I thought it was well worth the money,
      but this style is really a precursor to the 17th c stumpwork you are
      interested in. I'm crazy for the Elizabethan stuff, so I loved this book.

      I also have her blackwork book and like it, but - for my money - the
      Mary Gostelow book is the best for Blackwork. And, I have her Assisi
      book, but it didn't tell me much that I didn't already know and it
      had lots of charts that I won't use, but I'm a sucker for books on
      Assisi style. If I'd gotten it when I first started studying Assisi,
      it would have been more useful. :)

      And I have a question about this author - does anyone know if she has
      a web site where she sells her books, or at least lists all her
      available books? I tried googling, but didn't have any luck. Or is
      there a complete bibliography of her publications anywhere? (Or can
      anyone recommend her History of Needlework?)

      Thanks,
      Fionna
      (Bibliophile from Calontir)