Could you please help advise me on building my Embroidery Book Library?

  • Velvet Claw
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2008
      Hi everybody :-)

      It was my birthday this week and I asked for Amazon vouchers. I received
      $175 worth! (lovely friends!!)

      I now have some very important decisions to make. This money is intended
      to build my embroidery book library. I rarely have money to buy books,
      so I really really want to get 'the essentials' and to get it right.

      I have tried my best to choose the right books to buy, by many perusals
      of the various annotated book lists, but I was hoping that if I'd missed
      something that might be really good, you'd be able to point it out to
      me. I actually have more money that I need to buy the books that I
      currently intend, so there's room for a couple more! (wahoooo!). I can
      always keep it til a later date, of course, but I thought I'd send out
      this query. I'd hate a gem to be hiding from me!

      My interests are : 16th and 17th century embroidery, goldwork, and
      historical stumpwork, with a large interest in the area of satin/long
      and short stitch. Not blackwork. (not that I don't like it, but you have
      to draw a line somewhere).

      I love the techniques described in "18th C embroidery", but the actual
      embroidery of the 18thC is a bit too flower-ish for me. I'm very
      interested in the padding "18th C Embroidery" describes using string
      (guipere and guifrere, from memory) (and would love to know of any other
      books describing this technique)

      I love the 17th full blown stumpwork and the earlier work where they
      padded things a bit. Mostly the flowers and leaves, a bit on insects.
      I'm not into stumpwork people. I don't paint people in my medieval
      illumination work either, for some reason. I guess you'd describe the
      designs I like as mostly botanical with a bit of fauna thrown in.

      My current library (ok, it's small)
      Therese de Dillmont - Encyclopaedia of Needlework
      Clare Hanham - Beginner's Guide to Silk Shading
      Mary Brown - Goldwork Embroidery
      Trish Burr - Redoute's Finest Flowers
      Muriel Best - Stumpwork
      June Nichols - all of them

      Books I intend to buy
      Muriel Baker - Stumpwork : The art of raised embroidery
      Margie Bauer - The Embroiderer's Handbook ***
      Mary Thomas - Dictionary of Embroidery Stitches
      Trish Burr - Long and Short Stitch
      Gail Marsh - 18th Century Embroidery Techniques
      Thomasina Beck - The Embroiderer's Flowers
      Jane D Zimmerman - Art of Elizabethan Embroidery (tho not from Amazon)
      Exploring Elizabethan Needlework - Dorothy Clark

      *** This book shows step by step photos of 260 stitches. I will
      definitely get tripped up by drawings that show multiple steps at once
      that often appear in other Embroidery Dictionaries. I'm also left
      handed, so need to reverse everything.
      And the Mary Thomas is apparently a classic.

      I am aware of the rest of the Elizabethan Needlepoint series (Festive,
      Needlework Accessories etc) but I refuse to spend what money I have on
      books that will take up a lot of space on describing projects that
      include putting flowers in the middle of an outline of a cat and other
      such modern horrors.

      I intend to inter library loan them, and take notes of anything that
      isn't covered in my other books.
      If you think this is a bad idea and I really should buy some of them,
      please tell me. They are also pretty expensive to buy, once you add on
      shipping to Australia, for what I think I'll be able to get out of them.
      I may be totally wrong of course.

      I feel the same way about "Tudor Treasures to Embroider".
      http://madsamplarbooks.com/TudorTreasures.htm shows some projects from
      the book. I can get lots of slip patterns from Thomasina Beck's flower book.

      I intend to get Barbara Snooks "English Historical Embroidery" (which
      seems an obvious one to get) on interlibrary loan as one booklist
      recommended, as it's over $US40 to buy!

      I'm wondering whether to get another Goldwork book. Lemon? Zimmerman?
      (tho Zimmerman describes work on canvas - and I work on silk/linen I'm
      not sure what difference it would make). I haven't done any gold work
      yet at all, although I have the Mary Brown book already. Would the Craft
      of Silk and Gold Embroidery and Stumpwork by Erica Wilson be a good one?

      Any advice would be greatly greatly appreciated!

      Megan/Elmsley Rose