OT..*77 Please delete.

  • caitlanofrivendell
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2007
      Been receiveing a great deal of yelling.

      I apologise if I have disturbed anyone about this. Apparently there are
      other numbers other than *77.

      I just thought I was trying to save a life, especially in our world
      today.

      So you can just ignore and delete said info.
    • Hilary Powers
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2007
        caitlanofrivendell wrote:

        > Been receiveing a great deal of yelling.
        >
        > I apologise if I have disturbed anyone about this. Apparently there are
        > other numbers other than *77.
        >
        > I just thought I was trying to save a life, especially in our world
        > today.

        It's sad if people are being rude... but it would have been useful to
        check a little further before posting to the list. I fed "*77 cell
        phone" to Google, and the first hit was

        http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/fakecop.asp

        ... which also has a lot of info about aspects of the story that are not
        urban legend. Snopes is a good place to check for any tale that feels
        truer than true....

        --
        - Hilary Powers - hilary@... - Oakland CA -
        - Freelance copyediting and developmental editing -
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2007
          Lest we inflate this tempest beyond its very small teapot, I'll just say that the desire to be helpful is a Good Thing (tm), on the whole. And it's not like this list has been overwhelmed with such messages. But it's not like [WKneedle] is going to be anyone's one and only mailing list or source of important information for living safe, healthy lives. So I'd be comfortable adding a "please don't post such messages here" sentence to our guidelines if the other moderators are. Comments?

          Christian

          0 Chris Laning
          | <claning@...>
          + Davis, California