Re: [WKneedle] Brain-fade ( or Grown up help for an SCA baby)

  • Krista Barber
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10, 2007
      Leaves in a wreath no matter the color are a no-no. Three strawberry leaves together are also reserved. Leaves by themselves are probably okay; there *might* be some versions of leaves that are reserved (can't think of one, but . .), you'd have to ask an honest-to-goodness herald about that.

      As long as you don't accessorize your little one with a white belt, you'll be clear of the knights.

      It sounds cute. We want pictures!

      Ta,
      Aelia

      smcgraugh <smcgraugh@...> wrote:
      Greetings -

      Im getting ready to work on a piece for my daughter's garb and it
      occurs to me that my plans may be in conflict with SCA heraldry. I
      would like to do green leaves on a brown background for trim. It
      occurs that this might conflict with Laurels but Im not sure. Would it
      make a difference if I were to do green leaves on a white background?
      or is that close enough to conflict with the belts of Knights?

      Thanks for the help -

      Megs -

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 10, 2007
        On Sep 10, 2007, at 4:47 PM, smcgraugh wrote:

        > Im getting ready to work on a piece for my daughter's garb and it
        > occurs to me that my plans may be in conflict with SCA heraldry. I
        > would like to do green leaves on a brown background for trim. It
        > occurs that this might conflict with Laurels but Im not sure. Would it
        > make a difference if I were to do green leaves on a white background?
        > or is that close enough to conflict with the belts of Knights?

        The problem isn't "conflict," as such -- it's that the wrong
        configuration of leaves might be misunderstood as a claim to be a
        Laurel. Pairs of green oval-shaped leaves in a circle would
        definitely give that impression. Two rows of oval leaves on a border
        probably would too, especially if they looked like this (here's some
        bad ASCII art, best viewed in a monospaced font like Courier):

        \_\_\_\_\_ or this: \_\_\_\_\_
        / / / / / / / / / /

        You'd be fine if they were a shape that was recognizably some
        particular tree or other -- oak leaves with lobes, maple leaves,
        holly leaves -- though if you're talking about trim, you probably do
        have the pointed oval shape in mind.

        Likewise, if the leaves are any color _other_ than green you'd be
        fine. Background color doesn't matter in this case -- it's the leaf
        configuration that could lead to questions.

        OTOH, no one is going to think a 4-year-old is seriously claiming to
        be a Laurel, so it depends on your daughter's age....

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 11, 2007
          I suspect that we all have different ideas. Here are mine.

          Leaves are fine. The only thing to avoid is placing them in a wreath. Leaves can be any color, any shape and on any background. I actually have no problem with wreaths but I suspect that no one else will agree with me so I would avoid them.

          Traditionally we have very few taboos in the West Kingdom. Plain white belts, Laural Wreaths, Pelicans in Their Piety and Strawberry Leaves are the only things that would be frowned on.

          Duchess Letitia de Scotia