Pelican drawing

  • ladyawrabella
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2007
      Hey Everyone,
      I am looking for a picture/drawing of a pelican, celtic if possible.
      If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.
      Thanks,
      Arabella
    • Cassandra McCraw
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2007
        At 02:53 PM 9/6/2007, you wrote:

        >Hey Everyone,
        >I am looking for a picture/drawing of a pelican, celtic if possible.
        >If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.
        >Thanks,
        >Arabella

        If you have access to the Celtic Embroidery books by Robert
        Coldcastle and Gerald of Ipsley, they have a drawing of a Pelican. It
        is one of their designs (I believe Bob did the art), adapted from
        period art for SCA use.

        It is difficult to find early depictions of a Pelican. I was looking
        a few years ago and the best I did was 14th c. (though it wasn't a
        very thorough search, mainly Google images).

        I don't remember if the Celtic Pelican is in Vol I or II of the
        Celtic Embroidery books as I am at work and the books are at home.
        You can find a citation for the books on the West Kingdom Embroidery
        Bibliography. (a great resource!)

        Fionna nic Alisdair
        visiting this list from Calontir