West Kingdom A & S

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 21 10:49 PM
      Greetings to the list,

      A reminder that the West Kingdom Arts and Sciences is next weekend. There
      are two tracks of Needlework Classes

      Needleworkers Guild
      Whitework
      Ascelin Meere of Ravenslock and Caiterina nic Sheamus
      Max students 8, level intermediate
      Class Fee $5.00
      Bring scissors and magnification

      How was whitework used in period, especially on garb? The portraits can tell
      you, but you have to know where to look. Start a project suitable to make a
      collar or cuffs in a whitework technique, and see where these techniques
      show up in period paintings.

      Learning Embroidery Basics 101
      Isela di Bari
      no class limit, no class fee, beginner level
      Bring notebook, pen magnification and chair

      How do you "de-strand" a thread? How many strands are too many? How do you
      start and end a silk/metal/wool thread properly? What's a "technique" vs. a
      "style"? What is a "primary" vs. "secondary" resource? What's a "dye-lot?
      Bleeding? Eterna? When do you use a blunt vs. sharp needle?

      Decorative Viking Stitches
      Catherine Lorraine
      Maximum students: 6
      Class fee: $6.00
      All materials supplied
      Bring sharp scissors

      Hands-on class. Learn a number of stitches used to decorate clothes.
      Possibilities of stitches we will explore will be: Running, Herringbone,
      Double Herringbone, Tied Herringbone, Buttonhole, Van Dyke, German
      Interlacing. Whip stitch, Stem stitch, Chain stitch, time permitting.

      Trapunto
      Aurelia de Montfort
      Max students 8, level intermediate
      Class fee $5, includes Kit & Handout
      Auditors ok
      Bring , pencil, scissors

      Students who do not wish to buy the kit may bring two 12 inch pieces of
      either silk or linen with a rather low thread count weave (email the
      instructor for further information), a small quilting needle, a 6 inch
      upholstery needle or a stiletto, scissors and cotton batting or cord.

      Trapunto is an early form of quilting that was popularized in the 14th
      century. The whole cloth quilts are worked without a batting through the
      entire quilt, and only selective areas are stuffed and raised. The beauty of
      these quilts comes from the play of light and shadow in the design. This
      class will have a historical overview of trapunto, discussion of close
      relatives of this technique, pictures of extant examples and a hands on
      class with a small trapunto project.

      Needlework I

      Filet Lace Introduction
      Sabrina de la Bere
      Bring small hoop (5") and embroidery scissors
      Limit: 8
      Fee: $5

      Spun-wire cords for Viking wire-work Embroidery
      Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn
      A continuation of the "Viking wire-work embroidery" theme taught at some
      previous events, focusing specifically on learning how to create the "wire
      spun around a core" cords that were then used for macrame-like designs and
      sewn onto fabric.
      Beginner-level and above, but a certain level of manual dexterity is
      required.
      Class size: Limited to 6 students
      Fees: None
      Materials: All materials will be provided

      Make Your Own Haversack
      Sæunn Egilsdóttir

      Fingerloop Braiding
      Catherine Holcombe of Arden

      For more information on the event and a complete listing of classes, go to
      the West Kingdom webpage at http://www.westkingdom.org and click on
      Kingdom Arts and Sciences in the calendar

      YIS

      Catherine Lorraine

      Guild Minister
    • Lilinah
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 22 10:48 AM
        Catherine Lorraine wrote:

        >A reminder that the West Kingdom Arts and Sciences is next weekend. There
        >are two tracks of Needlework Classes
        SNIP
        >For more information on the event and a complete listing of classes, go to
        >the West Kingdom webpage at http://www.westkingdom.org and click on
        >Kingdom Arts and Sciences in the calendar

        Or go directly to
        http://westkingdom.org/calendar/2007-AS.html

        --
        Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)