Re:Embroidery Books

  • KyrinnaArias@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 5 , May 27, 2007
      I figured everyone would respond to this one, so I didn't - but I haven't
      seen it yet, so I'll post!

      The number one source for design, in my life, is a book called "Schole-house
      for the Needle", by Richard Shorleyker, ISBN Number 1 872665 72 1. This is
      simply a reproduction of an existing needlework pattern book printed in 1632.
      They just took really detailed photos of each page of an existing copy, and
      re-published it. You can see the holes around some of the designs where they
      were actually pricked and pounced, and there a two or three of the designs for
      which we still have embroidered samples, mostly in the V & A Museum, so we
      know it was a book people just post-period actually used. We guess many
      designs are actually earlier, and it took that long for them to be collected and
      printed. It's out of print right now, I think, but there are copies around, and
      I recommend you look for one to borrow until you can find one to buy. It's a
      great resource!

      ~Cait

    • ann marie
      Message 2 of 5 , May 28, 2007
        Cait wrote: The number one source for design, in my life, is a book called
        "Schole-house
        for the Needle", by Richard Shorleyker, ISBN Number 1 872665 72 1. This is
        simply a reproduction of an existing needlework pattern book printed in
        1632.

        I couldn't find anything with this ISBN. Does anyone have a source for a
        reprint of this book?
        Marsaili

        --
        "If I were to wish for anything, I should...wish...for the passionate sense
        of the potential-for the eye, ever young and ardent, sees the possible"

      • stephen spencer
        Message 3 of 5 , May 28, 2007
          I now have a new mission in life which is to procure that book. What I use
          for inspiration and patterns are often close up pictures of existing
          stichery that is found in museums. One book that I found helpful is my book
          on the embroideries of Hardwick Hall. I also look at a lot of period
          paintings and study the designs and re-create them on paper. Granted it can
          take some time and a magnifying glass is sometimes needed but I have found
          the results worth it. Besides it has given me a great excuse to buy art
          books, "but dear look at the patterns that I can use out of here"

          Margaret Anne, OL OP

        • Krista Barber
          Message 4 of 5 , May 28, 2007
            I haven't been to Lacis in Berkeley for a while, but
            every time I've been in there, they've usually had a
            copy or two. And for not that much, either!

            Aelia