Gem attachment

  • Cindie
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
      I have been working on a piece in the style of Aldith's beautiful be-
      gemmed piece that is pictured in the photos section. She sent me
      directions a few years ago and I am working on the piece finally. It is
      turning out quite eye catching. I need to do some research and get
      some documentation. Can anyone point me in a direction for a search?
      I don't enven know what to call it.
      Illora
    • faolanmacfarland@cox.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
        Is there any documentation on how to attach gems? I thought I went out to both yahoo and Wkneedle sites and didnt see anything on it, but I might of been looking in the the wrong place. I thougth they were beautiful pieces.

        I would love to be able to use some of my glass gems that I seem to be addicted to buying in something besides mosaic or stain glass.

        Thank you again

        faolan
        ---- Cindie <illoraofthewestlea@...> wrote:
        > I have been working on a piece in the style of Aldith's beautiful be-
        > gemmed piece that is pictured in the photos section. She sent me
        > directions a few years ago and I am working on the piece finally. It is
        > turning out quite eye catching. I need to do some research and get
        > some documentation. Can anyone point me in a direction for a search?
        > I don't enven know what to call it.
        > Illora

      • Krista Barber
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
          To Illora and Faolan, and anyone else with an interest,
          There is only one period piece in existence (that is known) using these techniques, a 10th century Austrian chausuble. Larger cabochons are attached to it with the "loop and tack" technique that creates a look like a solid gold bezel, and the much smaller round gems are attached with the looser "crosshatching" technique. Aldith found the garment in this book:

          Textile Conservation, by Mechtild Flury-Lemberg, Abegg Foundation, 1988.

          Aldith had her own copy of this book; I've not tried to find it myself so I cannot speak to price or library availability. If anyone would like a copy of the handout I put together for my class on this, which includes both Aldith's original handout (used with her permission) and my personal notes on augmenting her techniques as well as some applications to Byzantine clothing, contact me privately and we'll make arrangements.
          BTW, I personally call the techniques "stitched gem settings."

          Take care,
          Aelia

          Cindie <illoraofthewestlea@...> wrote:
          I have been working on a piece in the style of Aldith's beautiful be-
          gemmed piece that is pictured in the photos section. She sent me
          directions a few years ago and I am working on the piece finally. It is
          turning out quite eye catching. I need to do some research and get
          some documentation. Can anyone point me in a direction for a search?
          I don't enven know what to call it.
          Illora

        • Heather Rose Jones
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 2, 2007
            On Feb 2, 2007, at 10:45 AM, Krista Barber wrote:

            > To Illora and Faolan, and anyone else with an interest,
            > There is only one period piece in existence (that is known)
            > using these techniques, a 10th century Austrian chausuble. Larger
            > cabochons are attached to it with the "loop and tack" technique
            > that creates a look like a solid gold bezel, and the much smaller
            > round gems are attached with the looser "crosshatching" technique.
            > Aldith found the garment in this book:

            I've seen another surviving example of this sort of gem attachment on
            some fragments in the cathedral museum at Sens, France. The specific
            pieces were isolated scraps of fabric (possibly relics?) with two
            concentric circles in couched gold thread (outer diameter ca. 4") and
            between the two sets of lines, a series of small round cabochons
            fastened down with a thread technique that includes a loop of
            multiple threads smaller than the diameter of the cabochon, oversewn
            with buttonhole stitches that also catch the ground fabric. (They
            were very small and the light wasn't very good.) The two pieces with
            this technique, and some possibly from the same original object with
            lettering instead of the gems, weren't labeled as to provenance, but
            were displayed in a case next to and matching one labeled as relics
            of 13th c. bishops of Sens. This is all from my travel notebook, so
            other than a couple of quick sketches, this is all I know about the
            items.

            Tangwystyl
          • Ken Mayer
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2007
              At 01:45 AM 2/2/2007, Cindie wrote:

              >I have been working on a piece in the style of Aldith's beautiful be-
              >gemmed piece that is pictured in the photos section. She sent me
              >directions a few years ago and I am working on the piece finally. It is
              >turning out quite eye catching. I need to do some research and get
              >some documentation. Can anyone point me in a direction for a search?
              >I don't enven know what to call it.

              Illora,
              Since Aelia and Tangwystyl have covered most of the available
              documentation, (which is to say, there's not half as much as we'd
              like) I'll just add that there is more documentation on the use of
              glass stones in jewellery and in stitched jewelled textile decoration
              in Medieval European Jewellery, by Ronald Lightbown, V&A Museum 1992,
              ISBN 0-948107-87-1.

              Are you planning to take pictures of your finished piece? I'd love
              to see it.... (no pressure)....

              Aldith

              ----------
              "Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited.
              Imagination encircles the world." -- Albert Einstein

              ====
              Ken Mayer/Hirsch von Henford -
              ken(at)goldenstag(dot)net (or) hirsch(at)goldenstag(dot)net
              http://www.goldenstag.net
              http://www.goldenstag.net/dbase/dBASEBook.htm
              http://www.zazzle.com/goldenstag*
              http://www.zazzle.com/goldenstagplayers*

              Instant Messaging IDs: AIM: BaronHvH; Yahoo (Y!): hirschv
              (Warning, with IM, since currently we're on dial-up, well ... don't
              expect fast turnaround ...)

            • Illora
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 3, 2007
                I promise I will as soon as it is complete, which will have to be by March since I got fanaggled into entering it into Our Kingdom Art competition that I keep saying I never want to enter again! Hence, the documentation. I am not much on spending time writing documentation since it is time I could be sewing!

                I am almost done now but with me it is always hard to stop! I have loved doing it and it is one of those create as you go projects that just keep growing. I am very excited about it. I hope you ladies will think it is as nice as I do. Having the experts look at my work is always scary to me! But as I said I hope to have it at Estrella for those who will be there and care to take a look.
                Illora