Smocking

  • Daphne Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 24, 2006
      Holiday Greetings and Cheer:

      I am wondering if some of you who know a lot on general embroidery subjects can solve a mystery for me. There is a type of peasant blouse that is embroidered and the pieces are sort of smocked together. We used to buy them in mexico all the time and in the 80's they sort of disappeared. The decorative embroidery remains the same but the pieces are machine stitched now. They had a yolk and the body and sleeves were stitched to it with a sort of smocking technique. The outer edges of the sleeves had cross stitch work and a draw string with tassels ran under it.

      Te last time I saw a "real" one was in the movie "Dirty Dancing". The main character "Babie"
      was wearing one in one of the scenes.

      Does anyone know the proper name for this type of blouse or where i might get instructions on making one?

      Sincerely
      Elizabetta

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 25, 2006
        I think the type of stitching you're referring to is in fact an insertion
        stistch, not smocking. Smocking involves surface stitching over parallel pleats
        of fabric to hold them in place, and form a stretchy band of fabric. I know
        the blouses you're talking about, and the pieces were joined with an insertion
        stitch - often a derivitive of herringbone stitch. Contact me privately if
        you want more information!

        ~Cait

      • Cynthia Elrod
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 26, 2006
          Elizabetta,

          There's a seller on eBay that has many different
          styles of Mexican peasant dresses and tops. One
          example here:

          http://cgi.ebay.com/GIRLS-EMBROIDERED-WHITE-MEXICAN-PEASANT-BLOUSE-3T-4T_W0QQitemZ270072799592QQihZ017QQcategoryZ147218QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

          Maybe they have something similar to what you seek.

          Seller's ID is a1transmissions (why I don't know).
          I've bought many dresses from them so I can recommend
          them as a seller.

          Hopefully useful,
          Alethia Elphinstone of Dragonhold

          http://mail.yahoo.com