Sewing machine tune-up recommendations?

  • chris_laning
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 24, 2006
      Anyone want to recommend a place to take a Viking sewing machine for a
      tune-up -- hopefully within easy driving distance of Sacramento?

      I have one of the old sturdy all-metal models that I bought used, and
      it's served me pretty well, but it definitely needs a routine cleaning-
      and-tuneup, and the "low gear" has never worked quite like it ought to.

      The place (in Woodland) I bought it from is still in business, but I'm
      not impressed with their knowledge, so I'd like to take it someplace
      that specializes in Vikings or really knows them well.

      Thanks!

      Christian de Holacombe
    • Hilary Powers
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 24, 2006
        chris_laning wrote:

        > Anyone want to recommend a place to take a Viking sewing machine for a
        > tune-up -- hopefully within easy driving distance of Sacramento?

        Not exactly easy to reach from Sac'to, but very good.... I took my 1977
        Viking to the Sewing Machine Shop in Walnut Creek at the beginning of
        2005, essentially dead, and got it back good as new for a coupla hundred
        clams. (Among its other problems, the plastic in the cam driver had
        split like drying mud, which drove up the price....) You can see the
        place at http://www.sewingmachineshop.com/.

        --
        - Hilary Powers - hilary@... - Oakland CA -
        - Freelance copyediting and developmental editing -
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 25, 2006
          Hilary wrote:
          >Not exactly easy to reach from Sac'to, but very good.... I took my 1977
          >Viking to the Sewing Machine Shop in Walnut Creek at the beginning of
          >2005, essentially dead, and got it back good as new for a coupla hundred
          >clams. (Among its other problems, the plastic in the cam driver had
          >split like drying mud, which drove up the price....) You can see the
          >place at http://www.sewingmachineshop.com/.

          I can vouch for this place, too. Excellent work.
          --
          Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
          the persona formerly known as Anahita