Re: [WKneedle] Scroll Frames

  • prplelady@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 24, 2006
      My favorite is the E-Z Stitch -- their scroll rods come with either a fabric strip to which you baste your fabric ends, or their "No Basting System" which involves special Velcro strips (for lazy people like me):
      http://www.adp-usa.com/products.htm#Stitcher's%20Delight

      I've seen them at Michael's and a few other needlework stores -- I don't know where you're located, so I can't suggest any store in particular (I'm in San Jose, myself)....

      You can also buy just the Velcro strips to add to any other scroll frame system:
      http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Category_Code=E21-00-00&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=6976

      -- Felicia

      From: "lady_adelaide_wg" <deanna@...>

      Greetings,

      I new to this list and I was wandering if anyone has any
      recommendations in Scroll frames for needlework. Also any place I could
      buy one.

      Lady Adelaide Webster

    • lilinah@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 25, 2006
        Lady Adelaide Webster asked:
        >I new to this list and I was wandering if anyone has any
        >recommendations in Scroll frames for needlework. Also any place I could
        >buy one.

        I'm fond of the shop Needle in a Haystack. They're in Alameda and
        also do mail-order:
        http://www.needlestack.com

        I'd rather support a local individual business oriented to
        needlework/embroidery with friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable
        employees than a corporate chain store.
        --
        Urtatim (that's err-tah-TEEM)
        the persona formerly known as Anahita
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 25, 2006
          The EZ Stitch frames that were mentioned, I believe by Felicia, can be
          found at Needle in a Haystack in Alameda. The also have an online
          site. Most needlework stores will have some form of scroll frames.
          Even craft/fabric stores might. I've seen them at JoAnn's.

          If you are not doing too large of a piece I find the solid (? non
          scroll) frames great. Easier to maintain the tension.

          Ceinwen
        • lady_adelaide_wg
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 25, 2006
            Thank You Everyone,

            For all the wonderful suggestions, I'm sorry that I did not give more
            details on who am I. I'm Adelaide Webster: I live in Winter's Gate
            (Fairbanks Alaska) in the Principality of Oerhta in the West Kingdom.
            I have been doing needle work for several years now. I thought that it
            was about time that I join the West Kingdom Needlework Guild List to
            seek advice on needle my work. I hope one day to be skilled in many
            forms of Needlework.

            Adelaide Webster
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 25, 2006
              While it is indeed an Evil Big Chain Store, Michael's usually has at least two types of rectangular wooden scroll frames.

              One has straight side pieces with small holes, roller pieces with screw-threaded ends and nylon belting stapled to them (to stitch your edges to) and screw-knobs to tighten. These are hardwood and very durable, though a bit more expensive.

              The other type has plain dowels as rollers (no screw-threaded ends) and they fit into a large slot/hole bored in the ends of the side pieces; these are tightened by a wing nut on the side piece that clamps the hole more firmly around the dowel.

              I have used both, and they both work, but I rather suspect the second type may not be as durable. Of course, IIRC it's also cheaper.....

              If you standardize on one or the other, you can buy additional side pieces and rollers as needed to make more frames in different sizes, since each type is designed so you can interchange pieces within the same brand.

              I use the first type, and I think by now I have about three sets of knobs, four or five pairs of side pieces and four or five pairs of rollers. They stay tight and are very sturdy.

              Since both of these have rollers, neither of these types really resembles a slate frame, the most common type of period frame (see our archives for more discussion of these). But if you can't afford, find, or make a slate frame, or if you need something more compact, these are a good compromise between "period" and "useful" in my opinion. (As ever, I wouldn't presume to make choices for anyone else.)

              Regards,
              Christian de Holacombe

              0 Chris Laning
              | <claning@...>
              + Davis, California
            • hankj99
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 25, 2006
                While these are far from a period technology, I am fond of Q Snaps.
                They are basically a square frame made of PVC pipe, with four partial
                PVC pipe pieces for each of the four sides. To stretch the piece, you
                simply put the fabric over the frame and snap on the partial pipe
                pieces. If you need to tighten, you just twist the partial piece a
                little. It's easy to get the piece on or off or to move from section
                to section.

                For something that would be more historically accurate, I have good
                luck with stretcher bars. These are basically the same theory as
                stretcher bars for painting canvas. They are four interlocking pieces
                of wood, and you attach the fabric with tacks.

                But if you're not a stickler for re-enactment, IMHO Q Snaps are the
                best. You can get them at local craft stores or on the web, at
                Herrschners for example. Or if you want to try Needle in a Haystack,
                they do mail orders from the web,and their address is
                www.needlestack.com. Say hi to Cathe for me.

                Heather
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 26, 2006
                  In Fairbanks you have a wonderful store - A Weavers Yarn that has
                  lots of needlework items. I'm sure Susan carries various types of
                  frames including scroll, stretcher bars and q-snaps in stock.

                  In Service,
                  Sabrina de la Bere -- who throughly enjoyed her visit to Winter's
                  Gate last year
                  Guild Patron

                  On Jul 26, 2006, at 4:06 AM, Posted by: "lady_adelaide_wg"
                  deanna@... lady_adelaide_wg
                  > Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:09 pm (PST)
                  >
                  > Thank You Everyone,
                  >
                  > For all the wonderful suggestions, I'm sorry that I did not give more
                  > details on who am I. I'm Adelaide Webster: I live in Winter's Gate
                  > (Fairbanks Alaska) in the Principality of Oerhta in the West Kingdom.

                • NeedleznPinz
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 26, 2006
                    The Spanish Peacock makes beautiful frames...

                    http://www.spanishpeacock.com/sewingsupplies.htm

                    I just bought 2, one for me and one for my apprentice. They're lovely! :-)

                    Susanna

                  • Sorcha
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jul 26, 2006
                      This is great! And if you check out the Sprang page...
                      http://www.spanishpeacock.com/sprang.htm

                      Our very own Lady Oddny (Company of the Silver Spindle) is featured. Not once but TWICE!!

                      Sorcha

                      NeedleznPinz <needleznpinz@...> wrote:
                      The Spanish Peacock makes beautiful frames...

                      http://www.spanishpeacock.com/sewingsupplies.htm

                      I just bought 2, one for me and one for my apprentice. They're lovely! :-)

                      Susanna

                    • Satine De La Courcel
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jul 27, 2006
                        I happened to get the scrool type from Michaels ( teh 40% off cupons are
                        wonderful I got the big package with various sizes of rods from 6" - 18"
                        The velcro is sold separately if you go that route ( I did) and love it.

                        YIS
                        Satine
                        Shire of Starleaf gate, Midrealm

                        Play Q6 for your chance to WIN great prizes.
                        http://q6trivia.imagine-live.com/enca/landing