567Or Nue Class - March 21, 2004

    Mar 18, 2004
      We have one last slot for the Or Nue class coming up this Sunday if
      anyone is interested --
      ___________

      By popular demand - the Guild is sponsoring a class in Or Nue. Or Nue
      is surface-couched metal threads with coloured stitches placed at
      varying distances to give a tonal quality. This creates a
      three-dimensional effect on a completely flat surface. One example of
      this is the Liturgical Vestments of the Order of the Golden Fleece
      <http://www.khm.at/system2E.html?/staticE/page486.html.>http://www.khm.at/system2E.html?/staticE/page486.html.

      The class will use gold thread, from the UK, on silk gauze, and silk
      threads. The teacher will provide a design with plenty of shading and
      we will work samples to show how to handle the shading using
      different weights of silk, different colors of silk and different
      spacing of the couching stitches.

      We are fortunate to have Linn Skinner return to teach this technique
      that she learned at the Royal School of Needlework. Linn is a long
      time supporter of our Guild and has taught several classes for us
      before.

      Linn Skinner is an embroideress and embroidery historian, teaches and
      exhibits in England as well as in the United States. First taught to
      embroider by her grandmothers and mother, she continued her study of
      classic embroidery techniques and embroidery research in England.
      Linn has studied Blackwork, Goldwork, Jacobean embroidery and Silk
      Shading at the Royal School of Needlework, Hampton Court and advanced
      her skills in workshops with master embroiderers in England and the
      U.S. Linn is a founding member of The New Elizabethans, an
      international group of embroiderers formed in 1998 to further the
      development of classic hand embroidery. Her work was included in the
      New Elizabethians' first exhibit "The Broiderer's Garden," November
      1999 at the Museum of Garden History, London and she was featured in
      a BBC4 Radio program which focused on current embroidery trends and
      the exhibit. Recently, Linn has been featured in Piecework and
      Classic Stitches magazines. Linn takes her inspiration from the 16th
      and 17th centuries and interprets historic embroidery techniques and
      designs aesthetics in a new and refreshing way! For more information
      on Linn and to see her web-magazine visit her website:
      <http://www.skinnersisters.com/>http://www.skinnersisters.com/

      Date: Sunday March 21,2004

      Time: 9:30 am - 4:30 pm. We will begin at 9:30 am - if you can arrive
      and be ready to stitch at this time it will help the class move
      smoothly.

      Place: The class is being held in a private home in Half Moon Bay. In
      order to accommodate everyone please DO NOT bring chairs or tables -
      they will be provided. Also be aware that this is a cat-owned house.

      Dress: casual mundane

      Bring: to class old embroidery scissors for cutting metal threads,
      regular fine embroidery scissors, thimble if you use one, and note
      taking materials. You are welcome to bring additional lighting or
      magnification. We will be working with 40 count fabric.

      Class time includes one-hour lunch break. You may bring your bag
      lunch or for $5 we will be providing a deli lunch/make your own
      sandwich. Please let me know if you wish to participate in the deli
      lunch. We will also provide - water, ice tea and some soft drinks or
      you can bring your own. Weather permitting, lunch will be on the back
      deck.

      Cost: $100 for this special class which is greatly discounted for us.

      Contact Sabrina with any questions you may have.