1513IKINS Symposium 2009

  • Debra Cobb
    Jul 8, 2009
      Greetings fellow embroiderers.

      The 2009 Inter Kingdom Needlework Symposium (IKINS) will start registration
      for classes next week! Our web wizard Elaine Fairchild is currently
      preparing the website for registration. If you have not signed into the
      Yahoo group.the address is:

      This year's symposium, sponsored by the West Kingdom Needleworkers Guild and
      the Caidan School of Needlework is an amazing opportunity for needleworkers
      in both kingdoms to learn techniques, share information and to make new
      friends. Last year the Kingdom of Caid hosted the symposium and this year
      it will be held in the Kingdom of the West in conjunction with Fall
      Collegium. So save the weekend of Oct. 23rd-25th for an amazing weekend of
      excursions, classes and just plain fun!

      We'll start with our Friday "optional excursions", which will include a
      visit to a museum and a needlework shop. Francesca von Hesse will be
      organizing these visits.

      Then the classes will begin Saturday morning. Confirmed classes include:

      Elizabethan Embroidered Clothing - Iulitta Rowan of Arran will present a
      2-hour lecture with slides on embroidered clothing, including individual
      pieces from museums in England and the U.S., their construction and the
      embroidery techniques used to decorate them.

      Reticella - Sabrina de la Bere will show that there's more to needlelace
      than just the buttonhole stitch. She will take you on a journey exloring
      the elements of reticella including creating a base, starting and stopping
      threads, and several stitches.

      The St. Cuthbert's Goldwork Technique - Her Highness of the Mists Letitia de
      Scotia will show you in a step-by-step process the unusual, yet intriguing
      goldwork stitch that makes the discovery of the St. Cuthbert vestments such
      an important landmark in the field of embroidery. She will show you the
      stitch that pre-dated Opus Anglicanum.

      Elizabethan Gloves & Gauntlets - Francesca von Hesse will provide you with
      information and amazing photos of this courtly costume accessory. She will
      also teach some of the silk and gold metal thread stitches used to decorate
      this fashion accessory.

      Or Nue - Last year Teleri ap Gwynedd did such a fantastic job of teaching us
      the stitches prevalent in the Or Nue style
      that we've asked her to return this year to teach those techniques that many
      consider the highpoint of embroidery in the 15th century. You will
      especially enjoy seeing the pieces that's she's created.

      We're awaiting 2 other class confirmations so keep an eye out as we finalize
      them.

      Display of Needlework - will also be held at the symposium. Enjoy the
      handwork created by these teachers and fellow embroiderers/lacemakers from
      Caid and the West. Visit the iKINS website and see photos from last year's
      display.

      Also, look for announcements from this year's Collegium Occidentalis
      ministers for their line-up of classes, etc. That website address will be
      forthcoming. The actual site for this year's Fall Collegium and the IKINS
      symposium will be announced very soon.

      Yours in service,

      Isela di Bari - 2009 Symposium Coordinator
      Eowyn Amberdrake - 2008 Symposium Coordinator
      Richenda Coffin - 2008 Symposium Coordinator