1340change of opinion regarding tent stitch (basketweave)

    Jun 1, 2008
      Greetings to the list,

      Here is a perfect example of why you really shouldn't say positively "they
      didn't do that in period"

      I for one have said, that the basket weave stitch in needlepoint is not

      Well, I can now say that just isn't so. You still have to be careful of
      when and how you might use the stitch in your needlepoint, but yes it was
      used in period.

      As we all know there are three ways of working a (tent) stitch and they
      all look the same on the front, but different on the back. For the most
      part the back side is not photographed , even when possible, nor are
      descriptions of the stitches on the backside written about. We usually get
      the description of "Tent" stitch, and for the most part it was thought
      that the continental method of stitching was employed because of the large
      distortion of the pieces in period.

      The new book published just last year: The Embroideries at Hardwick Hall
      a catalogue by Santina M. Levey (isbn9781905400515) is a fabulous book. I
      am finally getting a chance to read some of it. In part two, section two
      Needlework she discusses the stitches used on the pieces in Hardwick Hall.

      It is an expensive book
      http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1905400519/ref=dp_olp_2 there is one
      used copy at Amazon for $99 , other than that you can purchase it from
      Hedgehog Handworks http://www.hedgehoghandworks.com/ for $129

      here is the information on Tent stitch:

      Regarding Tent Stitch or Petit Point :

      "This stitch, which is used for the finest needlework, is worked diagonally
      across the junction of a single warp and a single weft. Where possible, a
      professional needleworker works it on the diagonal both to counteract the
      distorting effect of horizontal rows of stitches all pulled in one
      direction, and because the diagonal method covers the ground more
      effectively, with the rows of stitches neatly dovetailed. When worked in
      this way, the stitch produces alternate rows of horizontal and vertical
      stitches on the back, while only diagonal stitches are created by the
      horizontal method."

      So when I got to the part about horizontal and vertical stitches on the back
      side, well I said to myself , hot dam, that is the modern basket weave

      Catherine Lorraine