1122Re: [WKneedle] Gem attachment

  • Heather Rose Jones
    Feb 2, 2007
      On Feb 2, 2007, at 10:45 AM, Krista Barber wrote:

      > To Illora and Faolan, and anyone else with an interest,
      > There is only one period piece in existence (that is known)
      > using these techniques, a 10th century Austrian chausuble. Larger
      > cabochons are attached to it with the "loop and tack" technique
      > that creates a look like a solid gold bezel, and the much smaller
      > round gems are attached with the looser "crosshatching" technique.
      > Aldith found the garment in this book:

      I've seen another surviving example of this sort of gem attachment on
      some fragments in the cathedral museum at Sens, France. The specific
      pieces were isolated scraps of fabric (possibly relics?) with two
      concentric circles in couched gold thread (outer diameter ca. 4") and
      between the two sets of lines, a series of small round cabochons
      fastened down with a thread technique that includes a loop of
      multiple threads smaller than the diameter of the cabochon, oversewn
      with buttonhole stitches that also catch the ground fabric. (They
      were very small and the light wasn't very good.) The two pieces with
      this technique, and some possibly from the same original object with
      lettering instead of the gems, weren't labeled as to provenance, but
      were displayed in a case next to and matching one labeled as relics
      of 13th c. bishops of Sens. This is all from my travel notebook, so
      other than a couple of quick sketches, this is all I know about the
      items.

      Tangwystyl
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic