FYI: Ancestry - OneWorldTree Service $$$

  • nkqx57a@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 7, 2004
      If you have submitted a family tree to Ancestry. COM, you should know
      of the change about to be implemented. The Family Trees that have
      been donated to Ancestry for free distribution to other researchers
      are about to be sold by subscription: the OneWorldTree Preview cost
      will be $49.95 for 14 months. If you'd prefer that your information
      was not sold, there is a link below which will take you to a set of
      instructions on opting out by deleting your tree.

      After clicking on the link and arriving at the page, click on "What's
      a preview?" near the top of the page. Read thoroughly and then click
      on "View Our Checklist".

      Among other things, you will see the following sentence: "If for any
      reason you do not want your tree to be part of the new OneWorldTree
      service, you must delete it from the Ancestry World Tree database by
      tentatively May 21, 2004."

      Here is the link: http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/trees/owt/

      Please forward this to those on your Research Lists.....

      Thanks,
      Neal
    • Neal
      Message 2 of 2 , May 12, 2004
        RE: FYI: Ancestry - OneWorldTree Service $$$

        I have received numerous inquiries and questions regarding my previous
        post.

        What Ancestry.COM is doing is providing a service that extracts
        information and links it together. The service is based upon and uses the
        information submitted by others, without offering any kind of compensation. I
        believe this to be wrong, unless Ancestry.COM intends to offer some kind of
        compensation to those that have provided the information in the first place.

        That is why you see; among other things, you will see the following
        sentence: "If for any reason you do not want your tree to be part of the new
        OneWorldTree service, you must delete it from the Ancestry World Tree database
        by tentatively May 21, 2004." Ancestry.COM must allow the opt-out for those
        that submitted GED information, because they are not offering free memberships
        or any other type of compensation for providing the information.

        This is a tragedy for everyone. This is a classic example of someone
        benefiting from the efforts and works of others; that originally were intended
        to be free to all.

        Family Trees submitted through Ancestry World Tree and RootsWeb World
        Connect are free and will remain free, for now?. Any options chosen by
        submitters with respect to GEDCOM download and source display will still work
        the same way, for now?. However, in the future functionality and information
        accessibility could very well change for the free services, as per their Opt-In
        agreements. Supposedly, OneWorldTree will not contain these trees, it contains
        only links that help find them.

        Here are the links:
        To Opt-Out: http://www.ancestry.com/search/rectype/trees/owt/
        For More Info: http://trees.ancestry.com/owt/checklist.aspx