[WCL-LAA] Latino/a Alumni Association of WCL Bulletin for March 31, 2008

  • Natasha Quiroga
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2008

      LAAW Bulletin for March 31, 2008

      1. LAAW Fundraiser a success!
      2. Job Bulletin
      3. Pasos 2008 - Save the Date!
      4. LULAC Scholarship Fundraiser

      1. LAAW Fundraiser a success!

      Thank you to all who attended our Happy Hour Fundraiser!  Over 70 people attended and we raised over $1,200 to go towards the LAAW endowment. If you were unable to attend, you can still donate online at: http://www.wcl.american.edu/go/give

      Special thanks to the LAAW Board for all their efforts in coordinating the event and donating prizes; Ultrabar for use of the club; and La Tasca, Gala Hispanic Theatre, Lauren Muser and Mayorga Coffee for donating prizes for the raffle.

      2. Job Bulletin
      Please support our current WCL Latino JD and LLM students who are seeking summer and long-term employment.  Below are short bios of each student and attached are their resumes.  You can also view resumes by logging into the LAAW Yahoo Group at:  groups.yahoo.com Resumes are located in:  Files: Resumes

      ******************
      Karla Cortes: I have work experience in federal litigation, a LL.M. in environmental law, and a strong interest in immigration law. I would like to work in any of these areas.

      ********************
      Ana-Maria Lafuente Motivated and hardworking current 1L at American WCL seeking summer legal internship at small or medium law firm, government agency, or non-governmental organization to engage in legal research and writing, assist with drafting of documents, and participate as needed in substantive legal work.  Interested in International Trade/Business, International Arbitration, ADR/Arbitration, Community Economic Development, or other related fields.  Strong academic background in International Relations; fluent in Spanish and French and working knowledge of Italian.  Available from May 26 to August 1 (10 weeks), remuneration not required. Contact Ana-Maria Lafuente at am@... or 713-569-3065 cell or 202-249-1039 home.
      ******************

      Maria Manon  My name is Maria Manon and I am looking for a full-time paid summer position. I have an interest in litigation, immigration, criminal, health care, and labor and employment law. I can be reached at 781-632-9232 or via email at mm8783a@....

      ******************
      Natalia Medina  My name is Natalia Medina and I am a second year law student. My areas of interest are international law, immigration, government affairs, and entertainment law.

      ***************
      Michael Moreno  Interested in working in Intellectual Property/Telecomm/Energy agency or small to mid-size firm. My email is morenomic@...

      ********************

      Anna Nunez   My name is Anna Nunez and I am a second year law student at American University Washington College of Law, seeking a summer position with a firm or company handling litigation or international legal affairs.  I have strong research and writing skills having worked as a summer associate for the D.C. Public Defender Services and as a judicial intern in D.C. Superior Court.  I currently work on the Senate Judiciary Committee's Subcommittee on Immigration, Border Security and Citizenship chaired by Senator Kennedy.  Additionally, as a legal assistant at Arnold & Porter, I addressed antitrust, criminal, and financing matters for a variety of domestic and foreign clients in English, Spanish and Portuguese.  My contact information: anunez@... or (202) 210-2589.

      **********************
      Nikolas Takacs is a 2L from WCL, with experience in immigration law and at an international trade law firm.  Also is a staff member on American University's Journal of Gender, Social Policy and the Law, and a dean's fellow for the Dean's Office, researching the inter-American system of human rights adjudication.  Interested in business law and especially international trade law.

      3. PASOS 2008 - Save the Date

      PASOS 2008

      The HBA-DC Foundation invites you to attend Pasos 2008.
      When: May 16, 2008 at 7:30 p.m.
      Where: American University Washington College of Law, 4801 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
      This warm and unique graduation ceremony is exclusively for all our graduating Latino law students and their families. Come experience a memorable event. Sponsorships and individual contributions are welcome. For additional information please contact Susie Valenzuela at (202) 466-3055 or svalenzuela@...

      4. LULAC Scholarship Fundraiser

      LULAC Council 4606 invites you to attend its Spring Scholarship Fundraiser on Friday, April 4th at 7:30pm at Cuscatleco Restaurant, 2927 Glebe Rd., Arlington VA 2206 (by Gold's Gym near Gunston Middle School). Light dinner, silent auction, and live guitar entertainment will be provided.  Semi-formal attire.  Proceeds will go towards scholarships for deserving high school students in our community.  To RSVP or for more information, please contact Felix Herrera at felix_herrera@...