Medieval Vampire skeletons

  • Steven Baker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5 5:19 PM
      Hi,

      Came across this short news article on medieval skeletons found in Bulgaria which had been staked - http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/13879015/vampire-skeletons-unearthed-in-bulgaria/

      Regards,

      Kilic
    • Oblio of Abertwidr
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 5 11:10 PM
        On 06/06/2012, Steven Baker <bakerskeep@...> wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Came across this short news article on medieval skeletons found in Bulgaria
        > which had been staked -
        > http://au.news.yahoo.com/latest/a/-/latest/13879015/vampire-skeletons-unearthed-in-bulgaria/
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Kilic

        A while ago, on one of the SBS television channels, I believe, was a
        documentary broadcast about Bela Lugosi. In searching on the World
        Wide Web, the documentary may be the one named "Bela Lugosi:The Fallen
        Vampire".

        The documentary was about the life of Bela Lugosi, from his birth to
        his death and beyond, and it included archeological information about
        the area in which he was raised, and the reference to the old beliefs
        regarding death and returning from the dead.

        An archeologist (I think she was) from a university in Romania, was
        interviewed, a archeological dig was involved, and apparently, the
        tradition of removing the heart of the dead, after burial, was still
        practiced at the time of the making of the documentary, which was
        about 2007, I believe.

        The spirit/soul is apparently believed there, to reside in the heart,
        which is to be destroyed/removed after burial, to ensure that the
        corpse is not reactivated and thence returns to cause harm.

        The documentary is interesting, as the perception of vampyrical
        beliefs, apparently, persists, as does also the treatment of the
        bodies of the dead; the dead are buries, and then, after they are
        buried, people go to the graves, dig up the corpses, and remove the
        hearts, or drive stakes through them, and, the practice apparently
        persists, in the particular area in Romania.

        I had mentioned the documentary, at a meeting for the Abertridwr
        Council, after I watched it, but the only people aware of me talking
        about it, may have been the people close to me at the time.

        So, apparently, vampyres and the associated beliefs and traditions
        relating to them, including going out to the graves of the recently
        buried, and, doing things to the hearts of the recently buried, to
        prevent the recently buried from being active, appear to still live in
        Romania, in the area of Trannsylvania...

        One of the causes of some of the beliefs and perceptions relating to
        the "undead" such as vampyres, appears to have arisen from the habit
        of burying people before they are really dead, so that, when they may
        have been later dug up, or, people hearing strange noises from recent
        graves, a cause is believed to have been the people waking up, buried,
        an a sealed coffin, trying frantically to escape, and, similarly,
        extra growth of the keratin based body parts, such as finger nails and
        hair, continuing after burial, so that, apart from finding the scratch
        marks on the inside of some coffins, some bodies had been found to
        have longer hair and finger nails, than when they were buried.

        The concept of vampyres, and, all that it involves, is fascinating,
        and, apart from the fashionable fascination of people with audiovisual
        representations of vampyres, in the "modern" electronic world, in the
        old and dark parts of Romania, the practices continue...

        --
        Oblio the Unregistered,
        Heretic of Abertwidr

        Per fructu, non folii