SCA Demos

  • Peter
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 2, 2008
      Hi All,

      If you had to pick 3 specific things that you thought were the best
      things to have a demos what would they be and which is most important?

      Peter
    • Kim Byrnes
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 2, 2008
        1. people doing stuff rather than sitting around in garb
        2. things that people could pick up and try eg. lucet cording, try on mail, etc
        3. atmosphere - music, garb, banners,

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 2, 2008

          I think the most important thing is, People who are part of the demo are smiling, laughing and willing to chat. I have been at demos where there has not been anything to demonstrate and only a few books and photos of what we do as well as a brochure to take away. We have recruited people from these and I think the reason is because everyone at the demo was laughing smiling and happy to chat to people.

          Its great to have all the beautiful things that we do but it will not attract people if they don't see it as fun.......... Now the 50 million dollar question is how do we keep them?..............(Not really such a hard question really but  i'm not going there) lol.................................... anyway that's just my 2c worth.......................

          Genevieve

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 4, 2008

            Happy people in garb

            Enthusiasm

            FUN

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 4, 2008
              So far we are getting a strong concensus for Demo item 1: People who
              friendly & enthusiastic etc - surely there are others out there who
              want to comment?

              Plus a rule for demos: They must be fun

              So to stimulate others, if I wanted to run a demo that focussed solely
              on fighting or perhaps war fighting. What are the reason I should or
              should not get SCA official endorsement & support?

              Peter
            • Chris
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 5, 2008

                Hi,

                I am not sure I understand your question.

                SCA Demo run by a local branch

                Must have

                1.       a financial member as the steward

                2.       be minuted as approved by the local group council, indicating what funds are available what the out lay and liability to the SCA is

                3.       have an official event form signed by the Seneschal and be advertised in the local news letter

                4.       if it is likely to attract media attention then it needs to comply with the SCA media policy

                I believe some aspects of SCA life are to be played down and those wholesome aspects of family friendly good clean fun played up.

                I believe that if you only want to advertise one aspect of society is ok. The question I guess is why would you want to

                Surly the great strength of the SCA is its diversity?

                As for getting support that’s another question I would think.

                Regards

                Kane

                Historic Armouries

                http://www.historicarmouries.com.au/

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 6, 2008
                  Any official demo as an event does require a Seneschal's approval, be
                  advertised to the local populace (newsletter) and the person
                  responsible for it has to be a SCA member in good standing.

                  While we have tended to wrap these up into a convenient package with
                  the event information form introduced for Pegasus is that the only
                  way. If it is signed off by the Seneschal I am curious where the need
                  for it to be minuted by the local group council is to be found and
                  curious what the definition of the local group is?

                  Remember the question is perhaps more why than why not? Support from
                  the local group should be perhaps be phrased as lack of obstruction by
                  the group. The greatest strength of the SCA - nice topic although I
                  would prefer flexibility was the answer over diversity.

                  Why would anyone focus on a specific area - probably becasue it was
                  their passion and they wanted to grow it or perhaps the environment
                  for the demo pre conditioned it. For my part I believe it would be fun
                  and would probably recruit people as well as any of the limited demo
                  formats we currently employ.

                  Consider a eastern household want to run a demo and the theme is fully
                  middle eastern culture rather than our normal european one.

                  Peter

                  PS Sir Kane can you let me know where the SCAA media policy is published?
                • Chris
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008

                    I wonder if this sort of conversation is really worthwhile.

                    We could be out armoring.

                    Any official event needs to have a paper trail

                    The recent St Florien’s truck issue proved, events needed to have this to stop any confusion.

                    I am sure the policy on minuting expenditure will soon be put out. but for someone wanting to be safe it would seem the obvious thing to do.

                    Local Group definitions is in Copora.

                    The Middle Eastern  household is not an official group so it can do what it likes as long as it doesn’t purport to be speaking for the SCA, May not use any of the SCA regalia etc at the demo, and of course would not be covered by our insurance.

                    Personally I would be opposed to anything that did not show core values of the SCA.

                    Cheers

                    Kane

                    The SCA inc media policy can be found here

                    http://www.sca.org/docs/mediapolicy.pdf

                    The Lochac Seneschal has taken the role of media liason on her self

                    So any more than local media coverage has to be veted by her as per this document.

                    Or failing that run it past me.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
                      Well I think it is worthwhile to explore what we do and how we do it as well as consider alternatives otherwise we could end up as just another sterile narrow minded dogma ridden club.

                      Peter
                    • Fiona
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008
                        Hey did you all see the great promotion that The Brothers Grim did to promote the House Darksun, it will be seen by Thousands?

                        Maybe looking outside the square is a good idea to promote the SCA, cause for some groups the alternatives aren't working.

                        Genevieve
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 7, 2008

                          Well,

                          (Way off topic)

                          I am more interested in us having a good structure that allows people to have the freedom to have fun.

                          I would like to see us follow the Sports community standards for good governance. And that has been my push while on the OZiBoD

                          I would like to see us have a reporting structure that was easy and meaningful that asked questions we want to know the answer to.

                          Of course all this information flow needs to go up and down the tree.

                          I would like us to have a financial structure that allowed us to get real and meaningful legal advice, rather than supposing.

                          None of this relates to the local level but impacts on it imo

                          Kane

                          Historic Armouries

                          http://www.historicarmouries.com.au/

                          Well I think it is worthwhile to explore what we do and how we do it as well as consider alternatives otherwise we could end up as just another sterile narrow minded dogma ridden club.

                          PeterImage removed by sender.