Re: Whey problem/question - and potluck update

  • cyndikrall@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 16, 2007
      Hi Maggie;

      Are you saying you make your whey out of milk instead of yogurt? Do you use raw milk?

      Thanks,
      Cyndi

      Hi Sandi & Jan,

      I haven't had this problem...what kind of towel are you using? I use
      the thin cotton dishtowels - not terry - just plain polished cotton.
      They hardly soak up any whey, and out of my last half-gallon of milk I
      got almost a quart of whey. You might want to try that. Hope it helps!

      Maggie

    • Cathy Suematsu & Max Rink
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 16, 2007
        Hi Sandi,
        I think the harder the cheese you make, then the more whey you get.  We get more whey from making feta than from chevre.  I use cheesecloth and i get a small amount of whiteness in our whey, but it either floats to the top or settles to the bottom, so it is easy to separate (and it probably doesn't matter).  But I only have a use for whey a couple times a year (fermenting okra, green beans, beets), so mostly I soak the chicken feed in it.  If we ever make more whey than i can use here, and if anyone is interested, maybe we could work out some kind of trade.

        I'm curious, what are you using so much whey for?

        Cathy

        On Oct 15, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Jason wrote:

        I use a cheesecloth I got at the co-op long ago, not sure if they still carry it.  It's not the very open weave you get at grocery stores, it's a very fine, tight weave and one layer does the trick.  I don't think it really matters if it's not perfectly clear.  I've had it come out both clear and opaque.

        Jason

        chakralight22 <chakralt@surewest.net> wrote:

        Hi everyone,
        When I try to make whey, waaay too much of it gets absorbed by the
        cotton cloth. I have tried to as small a cloth as possible (like a
        100% cotton napkin), but it still seems to absorb too much of my whey,
        even when I tie the cloth up and most of it is vertical.

        I just searched online and did find one site that recommended
        cheesecloth (admitting that NT does not). I found that I do have a
        very fine mesh cheesecloth, but now I see white dripping through and
        it is not as clear as with the other cloth even with 2 or 3 layers.

        Any suggestions? Have others had this problem? And how have you solved it?

        Or is there another easy way to obtain whey. I really want to start
        using it more, so I need more!

        Thanks for any help!
        Sandi

      • Maggie Hollinbeck
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 17, 2007
          Hi Cyndi,

          I've made whey both ways. When I made it out of commercial yogurt
          (Straus or Brown Cow) the cream cheese got an orange mold all over it
          within a few days. A friend of mine who is Super-WAPF-Mom suggested
          that using pasteurized dairy might be causing the early spoilage. So
          this time I started with raw milk. I ate the cream cheese too quickly
          to tell if it would mold or not, but the whey is great. There are
          instructions in NT for how to make whey with raw milk.

          Maggie
        • cyndikrall@aol.com