OT - question on bread pudding

  • Sharon New-Bauckman
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2009
       Before I ask this and make somebody mad because it's off topic - I did go to the Nourishing Tradiitons yahoo group and post this request there and for some reason even with all of the 100's of people on that list serve, none wrote back.

       I have never made a bread pudding before and would like too. I've got a ton of milk, cream and eggs and some blueberries from this summer (frozen).  I even have some pumpkin puree that I could another pan of pumpkin bread pudding.  I've seen some recipes on the internet, but wanted to make sure someone in the WAPF world didn't have one that they use and just love.  Thanks in advance.

      Sharon New-Bauckman, MS, CHES
      www.localfoodbeat.com
      The Business of Redeeming Food

      Windows 7: Unclutter your desktop. Learn more.
    • Jessica Earle

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2009
          This is my favorite recipe - and it's even better with farm eggs and raw cream and milk and probably would be great made from those GF dinner rolls Trader Joes sells:

          Orange-scented Brioche Pudding from Nigella Lawson (the queen of comfort food)

          16 slices slightly stale brioche (or other good bread, we usually use ciabatta)
          very fine cut or shredded marmalade (I've also used apricot preserves)
          3 Tbsp Grand Marnier
          1/2 cup golden raisins (or other fruit of your choice)
          2 Tbsp sugar
          2 eggs
          3 egg yolks
          2 cups heavy cream
          1 cup milk
          2 tsps brown sugar

          Put raisins and Grand Marnier into a small saucepan, bring to a boil and simmer for a minute or so, then turn off the heat and leave the fruit to plump up in the orange scented liquor.
          Make marmalade or jam sandwiches with all the bread (don't butter them).  Cut each sandwich into triangles and arrange them alternating pointy ends up and down in a buttered dish (8 cups or bigger).  Sprinkle raisins over top along with any remaining liquor in the pan.
          In a bowl whisk together the sugar, whole eggs, yolks, cream and milk.  Pour into the dish over the sandwiches and leave to stand for 15 mins.
          Before it goes in the oven, sprinkle over the brown sugar.  Bake for 45 mins by which time the rich custard should be at the very point of setting.
          Enjoy!

          Natasha

          --
          aka the graceful Nabilah http://www.bintbeled.com/troupe.htm