Re: Hobart K5-A Vs. K5SS

  • leoladymw
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
      You are right Sandy, although Hobart made the K5SS from 1978 to 1986
      when Whirlpool bought them out.

      So the issue is...will Kitchenaid repair the mixers from 78 to 86? I
      don't happen to know because I do not have a K5SS.

      Kitchenaid has discontinued the K5SS, even though there may be a few
      of them on store shelves still. Will they continue to repair the
      ones Whirlpool built from 1986 to 2005? Only Kitchenaid knows for
      sure.

      And I don't really believe that liability reason/excuse as to why
      they won't repair K5As. I think it is actually a profit/loss reason -
      - to sell more new mixers. Sorry Vern, but that is what I think.

      --- In WACEM@yahoogroups.com, Sandy McLendon <danemod@...> wrote:

      > Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that KitchenAid
      services
      > Hobart-era machines any more, so getting a Hobart-built unit
      repaired may
      > be a little tricky. You would have to find someone like Decodan to
      do any
      > needed repairs/rebuilding. I know for certain that KitchenAid
      doesn't do
      > any service for pre-solid state units (the Hobarts whose model
      numbers do
      > not end in "SS"); if I'm not mistaken, that's because there are
      potential
      > liability issues.
      >
      > There are parts available for these older machines on eBay, so if
      you're
      > handy or can afford someone like Decodan, you should be okay with
      one.

      > Sandy McLendon
      > danemod@...
      >

      > --
      9/29/06

    • jshields99827
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
        I am not concerned with Kitchenaid service although it is nice to know
        what they will or will not do. What I do want to know is:

        The differences between a Hobart K5-A and a Hobart K5SS, beyond the
        fact that the SS is solid state. Are these two machines identical?
        Does one work better than the other? Same bowl capacity? Are they
        equally durable? etc. etc. etc.

        Any help in answering these questions would be greatly appreciated.

        Jeff

        --- In WACEM@yahoogroups.com, Sandy McLendon <danemod@...> wrote:

        I know for certain that KitchenAid doesn't do
        > any service for pre-solid state units (the Hobarts whose model
        numbers do
        > not end in "SS");
        >
        > Sandy McLendon
        > danemod@...

      • leoladymw
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2006
          Ok. I am not a techy type person, so bear with me.

          I believe that there is really no difference between the 2 except the
          solid state issue. They have exactly the same 5qt capacity, and
          basically have the same torque.

          --- In WACEM@yahoogroups.com, jshields99827 <no_reply@...> wrote:

          > I am not concerned with Kitchenaid service although it is nice to
          know
          > what they will or will not do. What I do want to know is:
          >
          > The differences between a Hobart K5-A and a Hobart K5SS, beyond the
          > fact that the SS is solid state. Are these two machines identical?
          > Does one work better than the other? Same bowl capacity? Are they
          > equally durable? etc. etc. etc.
          >
          > Any help in answering these questions would be greatly appreciated.
          >
          > Jeff

        • jshields99827
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 3, 2006
            Thank you for your help,

            Jeff

            --- In WACEM@yahoogroups.com, leoladymw <no_reply@...> wrote:

            > I believe that there is really no difference between the 2 except the
            > solid state issue. They have exactly the same 5qt capacity, and
            > basically have the same torque.
          • Verne Myers
            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
              Actually, we still DO manufacture the K5SS. You can usually find them at Kohl's, I think. And yes, the reason we cannot repair older units that are NOT solid state is because there is a liability issue.

              Verne

              leoladymw <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: You are right Sandy, although Hobart made the K5SS from 1978 to 1986
              when Whirlpool bought them out.

              So the issue is...will Kitchenaid repair the mixers from 78 to 86? I
              don't happen to know because I do not have a K5SS.

              Kitchenaid has discontinued the K5SS, even though there may be a few
              of them on store shelves still. Will they continue to repair the
              ones Whirlpool built from 1986 to 2005? Only Kitchenaid knows for
              sure.

              And I don't really believe that liability reason/excuse as to why
              they won't repair K5As. I think it is actually a profit/loss reason -
              - to sell more new mixers. Sorry Vern, but that is what I think.

              --- In WACEM@yahoogroups.com, Sandy McLendon <danemod@...> wrote:

              > Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that KitchenAid
              services
              > Hobart-era machines any more, so getting a Hobart-built unit
              repaired may
              > be a little tricky. You would have to find someone like Decodan to
              do any
              > needed repairs/rebuilding. I know for certain that KitchenAid
              doesn't do
              > any service for pre-solid state units (the Hobarts whose model
              numbers do
              > not end in "SS"); if I'm not mistaken, that's because there are
              potential
              > liability issues.
              >
              > There are parts available for these older machines on eBay, so if
              you're
              > handy or can afford someone like Decodan, you should be okay with
              one.

              > Sandy McLendon
              > danemod@...
              >

              > --
              9/29/06

            • jshields99827
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
                Thanks for the info. I sought out information from a wide variety of
                sources before buying a mixer and my conclusion was that it was best
                to buy a machine made by Hobart and not Whirlpool. My reasearch tells
                me that Whirlpool has or had some quality issues with the mixers while
                the Hobart units seem to outrun the energizer bunny. Whether or not
                Whirlpool has addressed and corrected the problems they created....I
                do not know. I found a barely used Hobart K5SS on ebay and life is good.

                Jeff

                --- In WACEM@yahoogroups.com, Verne Myers <vmyersameritech@...> wrote:

                > Actually, we still DO manufacture the K5SS. You can usually find
                them at Kohl's, I think. And yes, the reason we cannot repair older
                units that are NOT solid state is because there is a liability issue.

                > Verne
                >
                > leoladymw <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                You are right Sandy, although Hobart made the K5SS from 1978
                to 1986
                > when Whirlpool bought them out.
                >
                > So the issue is...will Kitchenaid repair the mixers from 78 to 86? I
                > don't happen to know because I do not have a K5SS.
                >
                > Kitchenaid has discontinued the K5SS, even though there may be a few
                > of them on store shelves still. Will they continue to repair the
                > ones Whirlpool built from 1986 to 2005? Only Kitchenaid knows for
                > sure.
                >
                > And I don't really believe that liability reason/excuse as to why
                > they won't repair K5As. I think it is actually a profit/loss reason -
                > - to sell more new mixers. Sorry Vern, but that is what I think.
                >
                > --- In WACEM@yahoogroups.com, Sandy McLendon <danemod@> wrote:
                > >>
                > > Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that KitchenAid
                > services
                > > Hobart-era machines any more, so getting a Hobart-built unit
                > repaired may
                > > be a little tricky. You would have to find someone like Decodan to
                > do any
                > > needed repairs/rebuilding. I know for certain that KitchenAid
                > doesn't do
                > > any service for pre-solid state units (the Hobarts whose model
                > numbers do
                > > not end in "SS"); if I'm not mistaken, that's because there are
                > potential
                > > liability issues.
                > >
                > > There are parts available for these older machines on eBay, so if
                > you're
                > > handy or can afford someone like Decodan, you should be okay with
                > one.
                > >
                > > Sandy McLendon
                > > danemod@
                > >

                > > --
                > 9/29/06

              • leoladymw
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
                  My bad!

                  But I know that the fact the K5SS are still being manufactured is not
                  a well understood fact on the KA forum.

                  Sorry. But I still think that the balance sheet is the reason for non-
                  repair of older units.

                  --- In WACEM@yahoogroups.com, Verne Myers <vmyersameritech@...> wrote:

                  > Actually, we still DO manufacture the K5SS. You can usually find
                  them at Kohl's, I think. And yes, the reason we cannot repair older
                  units that are NOT solid state is because there is a liability issue.

                  > Verne

                • Verne Myers
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
                    Leoladymw,

                    I am a business/marketing professional, and I can think of no logical reason why a corporation would pick a date before which it would not "service" a product, when the differences are so small in design. If we service a product made in 1988, what would make us NOT service one made in 1987?

                    Verne

                    leoladymw <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote: My bad!

                    But I know that the fact the K5SS are still being manufactured is not
                    a well understood fact on the KA forum.

                    Sorry. But I still think that the balance sheet is the reason for non-
                    repair of older units.

                    --- In WACEM@yahoogroups.com, Verne Myers <vmyersameritech@...> wrote:

                    > Actually, we still DO manufacture the K5SS. You can usually find
                    them at Kohl's, I think. And yes, the reason we cannot repair older
                    units that are NOT solid state is because there is a liability issue.

                    > Verne

                  • SarahPerdue
                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 1, 2006
                      Verne,

                      If the differences are "so small in design" (using your words here),
                      why would there be (using your words again) a "liability issue" with
                      repairing the older models that are not as you said "solid state."

                      Sarah