Radio volunteers for forest cleanup

  • James C. Duram
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2009
      FYI:

      Jim Duram, K8COP

      COMMUNICATIONS VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
      On Saturday April 18, the Two Trackers http://www.twotrackers.org will be
      sponsoring the 11th annual Forest Cleanup in the Manistee National Forest
      area and other public lands. Last year, over 250 volunteers showed up with
      pick-up trucks and trailers to clean out trash and tires that gets dumped.
      More details and trash statistics at http://www.twotrackers.org/events
      Not only does this event bring notice to the Forest Service to the "tread
      lightly" motorized recreation community, A NUMBER OF STATE LEGISLATURES were
      on hand last year to observe, MANY OF WHICH PLAN TO PARTICIPATE THIS YEAR to
      actually get out and get dirty with the rest of us. Note, with the Michigan
      PRB-1 committee working to bring the FCC's PRB-1 ruling into Michigan law,
      http://www.prb1michigan.org <http://www.prb1michigan.org/> it will be
      helpful to make a good impression on our state legislatures what ham radio
      volunteers do.

      Anyway, with this event getting larger and including VIPs, communications
      become more important. The organizers have discovered that cell phones and
      CBs don't do so well in the woods. That's where the "to provide a public
      service" part of amateur radio comes in. Being a member of the Two
      Trackers, being involved for the past few years picking up and hauling
      trash, and being a ham operator, I was approached to organize
      communications. Since I'm familiar with the cleanup operations and have a
      few years experience with ham radio event communications, I volunteered to
      organize and operate ground zero / net control.

      We'll need radio volunteers at 3 dumpster sites with-in the forest area,
      with the political tour vehicles, the coordinator(s), and photographer.
      Additional radio assignments may be needed. The event starts in Twin Lake at
      the Car Go gas station on M-120. Registration at 8AM (radio volunteers
      will have our own registration), volunteers sent out in the field at 9.

      Rolls, coffee, and volunteer "communications" shirts provided to those who
      volunteer early enough that I can forward sizes to the shirt printer. Hot
      dog lunch provided at about 1PM.

      After volunteers move into the field, ground zero will move from the Car Go
      station to where lunch will be served, location not finalized as of this
      writing. After lunch, those who want to help wrap up the event are welcome
      to, other wise done for the day. An event flier can be viewed at
      http://www.twotrackers.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/clean-up-flyer-1.pdf

      We will use the Muskegon County Emergency Service 146.82(94.8Hz) 2-Meter
      repeater. My contact information is in my signature. TIA.

      73's

      Jack, NY8D

      Jack Amelar
      1554 Lincoln Lake Ave NE