VENTURING CREW 9050

  • ravennaelectronics
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 14, 2009
      Since we could not get enough adult leaders from the club to re-charter
      the crew through the club I have gone to other amateur radio groups to
      see if they would be willing to take on sponsoring the crew. I have
      found a couple of potential charter partners for the crew that will
      provide all the leadership, meeting place, etc..

      What I need now is a letter from the club president, Tom W8AMZ, on
      offical letter head stating that the MAARC releases the crew and all
      its assets to a new charter organization. I will need this letter this
      week so that I can get the crew re-charted.

      The crew youth and adult leaders thank the MAARC for the help and
      support they were able to provide.

      Best Regards,
      Rich "Doc" Strait, AC8AL
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 15, 2009
        All:

        I'm suffering from frustration at not getting into the log of the K5D,
        so bear with me.

        Somehow I'm left feeling guilty for feeling a little ill will toward
        Doc, AD8AL on this issue. It's not an overwhelming feeling, just that
        nagging one hanging around the perimeter.

        I harbor no overwhelming ill will toward Doc, the Venture Crew, the
        MAARC, or our hobby. I am feeling uncomfortable with how Doc decided
        to let our world know about the Venture Crew's recent charter
        organization shopping. It is probably just me but this type of news
        might better have been made public in a more private manner with a
        quite note to the Council's president. Again, it's probably just me
        having a bad day.

        Why not be a little more discrete on a potentially sensitive subject?
        Of course, hind sight is 20/20 and all. And I'm wound a bit tighter
        than normal today.

        I should just rejoice that the Crew has put together the means to stay
        afloat for another year. Yes, that's the idea. This is excellent
        news and this part of the hobby will remain alive and functioning.
        Yes. Now why is there that taste of disappointment that we somehow
        let these kids down? Hmmm

        Just wondering . . . ?

        Bill, AB8SC

        --- In W8ZHO@yahoogroups.com, "ravennaelectronics"
        <ravennaelectronics@...> wrote:

        > Since we could not get enough adult leaders from the club to re-charter
        > the crew through the club I have gone to other amateur radio groups to
        > see if they would be willing to take on sponsoring the crew. I have
        > found a couple of potential charter partners for the crew that will
        > provide all the leadership, meeting place, etc..
        >
        > What I need now is a letter from the club president, Tom W8AMZ, on
        > offical letter head stating that the MAARC releases the crew and all
        > its assets to a new charter organization. I will need this letter this
        > week so that I can get the crew re-charted.
        >
        > The crew youth and adult leaders thank the MAARC for the help and
        > support they were able to provide.
        >
        > Best Regards,
        > Rich "Doc" Strait, AC8AL

      • Tom Porritt
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 15, 2009
          Bill and All,
          I have to admit that I feel frustration too, but I see no need for MAARC to give up the Crew Charter if it still wants to sponser the group. Simply put, the leadership of the Venturing Crew does not have to come from MAARC. It is my opinion that if there are people that can be found to form the committee the only person that has to be a MAARC member is the Organizational Representative. This is the form we have used for many years for our Boy Scout and Cub Scout programs at my church. Often the committee has several church members but just as often the leadership comes from outside of the church. It is my opinion the role of the MAARC Board should be to help guide the search for leadership outside of the organization if necessary. Perhaps my frustration comes from the Board not taking more of a role.
          Tom

          <ravennaelectronics @...> wrote:

          > Since we could not get enough adult leaders from the club to re-charter
          > the crew through the club I have gone to other amateur radio groups to
          > see if they would be willing to take on sponsoring the crew. I have
          > found a couple of potential charter partners for the crew that will
          > provide all the leadership, meeting place, etc..
          >
          > What I need now is a letter from the club president, Tom W8AMZ, on
          > offical letter head stating that the MAARC releases the crew and all
          > its assets to a new charter organization. I will need this letter this
          > week so that I can get the crew re-charted.
          >
          > The crew youth and adult leaders thank the MAARC for the help and
          > support they were able to provide.
          >
          > Best Regards,
          > Rich "Doc" Strait, AC8AL

        • ravennaelectronics
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 15, 2009
            Howdy all.
            Bill I am sorry this rubbed you the wrong way. However, I told the
            board last fall that we needed additional adult leaders. As a matter
            of fact, I have been saying that ever since we chartered because we
            never did have a full compliment of leaders.

            I have reminded the board at every board meeting since last fall and
            via emails that if we can not get adult leaders then the crew will
            fold. All the MAARC Club members I asked to help out said NO. When
            it came time for the popcorn sales, only three club members purchased
            popcorn. Two of them never showed up to a meeting and therefore we
            got stuck with the popcorn and the crew had to pay for it.

            I am frustrated with the club because they wanted to get youth
            involved in the hobby. We have a great way to do this yet it seems
            like the majority of the adults are saying "Great idea just do not
            ask me to get involved with being a leader." So, the youth voted to
            go elsewhere as it is a youth led crew. The adult leaders had no
            vote in this or say. IF the club wishes to keep the crew then they
            need to supply a Committee Chairman and an Associate Advisor of
            Administration. Both positions will require training and a time
            committment on their part.

            Once again, this is not intended to upset or rub folks the wrong way
            yet the message has been one I have been preaching since last
            September.

            Best Regards,
            Rich "Doc" AC8AL