9.5oz Trail's End Caramel Corn with Peanuts Voluntary Recall

  • ravennaelectronics
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2009
      Weaver Popcorn Company Issues a Nationwide Precautionary Voluntary
      Recall of 9.5 oz. Trail's End® Caramel Corn with Peanuts
      Contact: Cathy Yingling (317) 264-5860

      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- February 4, 2009 –As a result of the
      expansion of Peanut Corporation of America's (PCA) Salmonella related
      recall to include all peanut ingredient products produced in their
      Blakely, Georgia facility since January 1, 2007, Weaver Popcorn
      Company has issued a precautionary voluntary recall for the following
      product:

      9.5 oz. Trail's End® Caramel Corn with Peanuts, with code date
      markings of "102861 109 JAN 19 08" through "102861 297 JUL 23 09".

      No other Trail's End or Weaver Popcorn Company products are part of
      this recall. "Although Weaver Popcorn has received no complaints or
      reports of any illness related to this product, we are taking this
      precautionary action out of an abundance of caution and consistent
      with our 80-year unwavering commitment to consumer safety and to
      providing the highest-quality products," said Mike Weaver, Weaver
      Popcorn Company President and CEO. Since the vast majority of this
      product has not been sold for a number of months, it is assumed that
      what has been sold has been consumed. Consumers who have purchased
      this recalled product are urged to destroy it. Consumers with an
      unopened, sealed popcorn foil bag, with the above listed code dates,
      can arrange for a refund by calling 1-800-782-4255 (Monday through
      Friday from 8:00am –3:00pm EST) or by sending an email to ccp@trails-
      end.com

      *** Salmonella is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes
      fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and
      others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with
      salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea, nausea,
      vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare cases, infection with salmonella
      can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing
      more severe illnesses, such as arterial infections (i.e. infected
      aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis. For more information on
      Salmonella, please visit the Centers for Disease Control and
      Prevention's Website at http://www.cdc.gov.]

      My family has eaten several tins of this popcorn and not had any
      problems. We are going to follow the above mentioned procedures to
      get rid of the remaining stock. We do not want folks coming back and
      saying that the crew and MAARC was selling tainted popcorn. If you
      have some of this product, please destroy it and call the above
      mentioned number for a refund.

      Best Regards,
      Rich "Doc" Strait, AC8AL