GLD Vice Director - KB6NU

  • Jon Plyler
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 2008
      A note from Dan Romanchik, KB6NU

      Jon AB8RD

      Fellow Hams:
      Amateur radio is a great hobby and a real public service. Amateur radio has given me a lot, and I have tried to give back to this great institution:
      • I have served as the Michigan Section Affiliated Club Coordinator for the past four years.
      • I have served as president, and currently am on the board of directors for ARROW, our amateur radio club in Ann Arbor, MI.
      • I teach both Technician and General Class license courses. In addition to teaching, I've written study guides that have helped many pass the Technician and General Class written exams. These study guides are available for free on my website.
      • I helped organize and have participated in "Radio Merit Badge Day," an event jointly sponsored by our club and the local Boy Scout council. Over the past two years, nearly 300 Boy Scouts have earned their radio merit badges at these events.
      • I am spearheading a project called Ham Radio at the Hands-On Museum. The goal of this project is to set up a permanent amateur radio station at the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum. This station will be in operation by the end of October 2008.
      If you vote for me for Great Lakes Division Vice Director, I'll use the experience that I've gained with these activities to help even more people obtain their licenses, make amateur radio more enjoyable for those of us already licensed, and work to ensure that amateur radio continues to serve the public interest. Here are some of the things I will work on as your Vice Director:
      • Increase ARRL membership. Currently, less than 25% of all licensed amateurs are ARRL members. If the ARRL wants to truly call itself the "National Association for Amateur Radio," that number must be higher. Let's set a goal of 30% or more and devise plans to get us there.
      • Get hams more involved. We need to find a way to get hams more involved, both with the hobby in general and with the ARRL in particular. Hams who are not active and committed do not write letters to their congressmen, do not participate in emergency communications and public service activities, and do not see any reason to belong to the ARRL. An active, committed membership is key if we are to reach the goals we have set for ourselves.
      • Support clubs and educators. Clubs are often the first point of contact that people have with ham radio, and successful, thriving clubs will encourage more people to become active amateur radio operators. We need to improve the Affiliated Clubs program so that there's more incentive to become an affiliated club and provide more support to those currently teaching ham radio classes or who want to teach ham radio classes.
      • Act in accordance with all five "purposes" of amateur radio. Part 97 spells out five different purposes for the existence of the Amateur Radio Service. These include "advancing the state of the radio art" and "enhancing international goodwill." I would like to see the ARRL devote more time and energy to these endeavors. This is another reason to get more hams involved. These are not small undertakings and we'll need every ham we can get, first to define programs and then to execute them.
      Please feel free to contact me by e-mail or by phone about any of these issues or issues that you think need addressing.
      Thanks for your time. I appreciate your vote.
      73, Dan Romanchik, KB6NU
      NOTE: This is a one-time mailing. You will not be receiving another message from me unless you contact me and ask for a reply.