Re: [W8ZHO] Re: Field Day Shack Managers

  • Tom Nickisch
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2008

      Bill,

      Thank you for the kind words of appreciation. . It is very nice to hear them and they sure make all the efforts, sweat and occasional stress from a certain individual worth while. I do think we are on the right track and truly believe it will only get better.

      73’ Tom W8AMZ

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
        Tom:

        It is unfortunate that you had to suffer such stress related to the
        power generating problem. You took great care and planned a wonderful
        system that almost worked without any issues. That's amazing!

        Personally I wish there had been a FD chair on the site to referee
        disputes. We also might have used a bit more direction prior to the
        event when I somehow missed the memo that shack managers were informed
        that equipment powered from the grid was restricted. It was sheer
        fortune that I fit the "model" with a notebook, rig, and a borrowed
        Led desk light. My goal this year is to accumulate this gear for use
        in future FD shacks.

        The week before FD meeting was not at all useful for my shack. There
        did not appear to be the hoped for all hands cooperation in looking at
        the site and preparing for the next week's set-up. I'd guess my
        expectations were not in sync with the direction offered by the
        chairman of this year's event. Shack managers are distinctly independent.

        In the end the event was fun. I'm itching to get back to FD next
        year. It's great fun!

        Bill, AB8SC
      • k8mhz@k8mhz.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
          Tom, Bill, and all,

          Lest we not forget that *all* the power generation equipment used at FD belonged to Tom.  It was not the property of the MAARC.  After some thought and consideration my original stance on the issue has not changed.  If you want to use Tom's stuff, you play by Tom's rules.  If you don't like Tom's rules, you don't use Tom's stuff.  No referees, meeting, votes nor discussion needed.

          I think Tom used a lot of restraint in his attempt to keep individual current draw to a minimum in order for the rest of the group to have AC power.  I would not have been so tactful.  My approach would have been first offense, removal of plug from receptacle.  Second offense removal of plug from cord.  I doubt there would have been a third offense.

          I think the system Tom worked very hard to come up with worked very well on it's maiden voyage.  With a little improvement his system undoubtedly will be able to provide the needs for a half dozen or more emergency communication stations.

          If any of us has the need for more power than supplied feel free to donate some time or material to enhance the system.  No junk, either.  Tom purchased 4 brand new batteries and an expensive inverter (that was nearly destroyed by certain parties using more power than was allowed) a bunch of heavy cable, many boxes and receptacles and also provided a trailer to house the equipment and a vehicle to charge the batteries.  To give you all an idea of the expense put forth, I bought 2 boxes, two chase nipples, two covers, two cord grips and two switches.  That half a plastic bag of parts cost over 15 dollars.

          If any of us do not like the rules enforced to use Tom's grid, there are other means (beside using a generator) to provide needed power.  None are cheap.

          My hat is off to Tom for his ingenuity, time and investment.  Shame on those that had a problem with his requirements for use of his personal property.

          I also hope that the majority of users that did follow the rules appreciated Tom's effort and realize that the occasional power outage was due not to a poor design, but an over-consumption of power by one or two individual stations.  As I have heard, it was more likely one single station's refusal to comply that took out the grid (and cause the network to have to be reset) on more than one occasion rather than any other reason.  To me, that problem is very easy to rectify.

          On the flip side, FD was pretty cool, as usual.  I always look forward to it whether as an observer or a participant.

          73 and Thanks to All that helped out.  (Energy provision was just one task that was addressed)

          Mark K8MHZ

[...]

          Checked by AVG.
        • Jim KC8PCJ
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008
            Thanks Tom for all you efforts. I was nice not having to listening to a loud generator running. There were lessons learned and that is one of the thing field day is about. We did save energy in the process (green) THAT is a good thing. Now we take what we learned and move forward.

            Again thanks again

            Jim.

          • Tom Nickisch
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2008

              Greetings, To Field Day Shack Leaders.

              I want to say thank you to all of you, first for all the kind words and second for your willingness to work with me and the club leadership’s efforts in trying to go GEEN and trying out a totally new system. Yes there were a few small issues with the system, mainly with the GFCI protection after the rain. I do have to say we were very successful with our efforts to cut back on fuel consumption. We went from consuming 18 gallons of fuel to using only 5-6 gallons of gasoline. And the comments from others of no noise.

              A lot of time and effort went into research, design and putting the power system together and yes some money too. There was also a lot of consulting with other Hams/Elmer’s, and they deserve a lot of credit too. Remember this is the hobby of Amateur Radio and it’s history is built on experimentation and developing new ideas. Some of our forefathers had success along with a lot of failures too. But I had access to a lot of information from other’s research to help make my job a heck of a lot easier.

              The future of the power production and delivery system should be even better. Seeing how from one year to the next we seem to have the same shack leaders and because of this I would like to share my future ideas and gather your thoughts on them. This should help to make the field day experience even better for all of us.

              Once again I would like to thank all of you,

              73’ Tom W8AMZ

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2008
                Jim wrote, "a loud generator running."

                Toward the end of FD the power grid was being stowed away. Twenty
                meters was still going. I wanted to work a few more QSOs. Dick,
                KC8JWC loaned me his portable generator. It was quiet and smooth as
                silk. We hooked into the generator using an extension cord of twenty
                feet.

                There was tons of hash noise on the band from the generator. I was
                conflicted. I chose to suffer the band noise in order to log a few
                more QSOs. It was that or pull the plug.

                I'm really, really, very happy that the other twenty-three hours were
                RFI free and rather painless hours of bliss. Yes, bliss, compared to
                the noise on the band from Dick's generator. And I was ever so happy
                to have the power from that portable generator. Tom, W8AMZ is doing
                amazing things. Hey, amazing and W8AMZ. I hadn't noticed that "twist."

                Memories from my first FD in '02 are steeped in the terribly loud
                generator noise suffered the entire event. Wow, that thing was noisy.

                Bill, AB8SC
              • Jim KC8PCJ
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 3, 2008
                  The loud generator I was refering to was last year. I should not say loud too loud, as the guys did make a great effort in noise reduction panels that did make big difference.

                  Bill, when you were operating 15M in my shack the Honda E2000, inverter type generater that was powering the trailer only and not the radios, also was very quit as far as engine noise but it also created a lot of hash on the airwaves. Anyone looking to purchase a inverter style generator may want to do some investagation on the RF noise issue. I have not had the time to determine the exact cause of the noise (ie engine, inverter or generator) or if there is a way to possibly filter the noise.If I figure it out I will let you know.

                  Glad you got a few more contacts in bill.