KI4ZJS /AG

  • Jon Plyler
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
      In the MAARC/W8ZHO email we received the attached message.  I'm hoping one of you will recognize it.  I am grateful to all of you who make the extra effort that can make all the difference in the experience of another amateur.  Definitely a lesson worth practicing daily.
      Jon AB8RD

      Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 16:26:01 -0800 (PST)
      From: "KI4ZJS" esco6713@...
      Subject: KI4ZJS/AG (TU)

      Thank you for the Award & the qsl card & sase, Mostly for the award, that was totally unexpected. Things like this make Amateur Radio worth the effort.  You be safe and keep the sky busy                                     sincerely        Shulla   Morgan (KI4ZJS)

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008
        It sounds like it could have been a contact on a Special Event and/or Station.  Such as Veterans Day from LST393 or possibily the MCECS Special Event Station.

        I will post the message on the MCECS Staff List to see if the person that took care of the QSL/AWARD has the information.

        Denny  N8CTT

        From: "KI4ZJS" esco6713@yahoo. com

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 5, 2008

          Bob, N9AUY put together a marvelous opportunity to work radio from the
          LST on Veteran's Day, November 11, 2007. We had a wonderful
          opportunity to call CQ from this historic vessel. The museum
          supported our efforts and a dozen or so hams were involved in this
          activity.

          During the day, a Sunday as I recall, I had the opportunity to call CQ
          from the ship. I'm grateful to Linda, AB8QH for assisting with the
          logging duties. We did manage to build up a bit of a pile-up and it
          was fun working through the many call signs.

          In the pile-up I managed to hear, "stroke AG." I came back to the
          call sign and it turns out that this was K14ZJS's first QSO as a
          General. We were pleased to have the QSO.

          Earlier in '07 our club had an open shack night and late evening
          upgrade testing session. At that evening's session we designed and
          were ready to produce a 'First Contact' certificate. I don't recall
          that we managed to actually celebrate any first contacts that evening.

          After getting a QSL card from KI4ZJS indicating that our W8ZHO LST
          station was his first contact as a General I just had to dust off the
          'First Contact' certificate. I put together this 'wallpaper' and got
          it to the QSL manager so he could mail this certificate with the QSL
          card. I thank Bob, N9AUY for doing this task before he left for
          Florida and a well deserved month or better break from our weather.

          This was certainly a joint effort. I'm pleased as punch to hear that
          KI4ZJS enjoyed the little extra effort. We're grateful for the
          opportunity to support and encourage our ham friends.

          Isn't ham radio fun?!

          Bill, AB8SC
        • Jon Plyler