Re: [W8ZHO] Smith Charts

  • k8mhz@k8mhz.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2007
      Interesting, especially the history.

      The slide show is a bit hard to follow though.  It really does not do much for someone that has no knowledge of using the charts to make a workable attempt to do so.  I could see that an entire class or three could be devoted to using the charts.  The complexity of the charts probably (and in my case did) lead those attempting to take the Extra exam to just memorize the answers and not have a full understanding of the use of the charts.  I still don't know how to use them and do know the formulas for capacitive and inductive reactance and how to set up an 'impedance triangle' to figure the resultant impedance.  I don't know of many hams in the area that can actually to that so I would hazard to guess even fewer know how to use a Smith Chart.  One thing I did learn is that the charts can be used for admittance and reluctance as well as reactance.

      Thanks for posting the link!

      73 de K8MHZ