  • Linda
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2007
      Hello, All:

      (This message has also been posted on the West Michigan Hams group)

      I wanted everyone to know that Bill is currently recuperating from
      very serious eye surgery. He was experienced some vision problems,
      made an appointment with his regular physician because he thought it
      was blood pressure related. Turns out he had a detached retina and a
      cataract in the one eye that is not "legally blind". Two excellent
      surgeons later, he is at home and will be recuperating for at least
      two weeks. The surgeon injected a gas bubble to help hold the retina
      in place, so like the bubble in a carpenter's level, this
      necessitates that Bill keep his face/eyes pointed at the ground
      for the next 2 weeks. He's trying to figure out a way to hang upside
      down and talk to that microphone! If you'd like to call or send an e-
      mail that I would be glad to read to him, I know he would enjoy the
      contact. Needless to say, we are anxious, but very hopeful and feel
      that we landed in the right place - Grand Rapids Opthamology. (I
      think I spelled that correctly.)

      73,
      Linda, AB8QH & Bill, AB8SC
      Fremont
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 11, 2007
        All:

        By way of an update on the results of the eye surgery and recovery. I
        am very grateful for all your kind thoughts, prayers, and encouraging
        notes and comments. This recovery time has been much longer than I
        expected. To keep my spirits up I've been noticing small improvements
        each day.

        The doctor injected an air bubble into my right eye. That bubble has
        been supporting the retina up until the past three or so weeks. Then
        the bubble's size has been slowly getting smaller to the point where
        it is just "in there" and not doing any supporting. It sits up high
        in the eyeball and scatters the incoming light to dazzle the "world" I
        see through my "new" eye.

        To demonstrate the doctor's observation that the retina has, indeed,
        been reattached the optometrist has been letting me read their eye
        chart with that fancy eye testing machine with lots of lenses and the
        endless question, "which one is better, one or two." If you've ever
        had your eyes tested you know the drill. Any rate, even with lots of
        eye drops, a dilated iris, and all the complications I can get my
        eyesight corrected to 20/40 or thereabouts. This means that if I were
        to have the lenses ground I could return to driving a vehicle.

        I'm still keeping my head down and taking time off of work. The eye
        is still recovering and is fragile. The process will take at least
        another two weeks before the doctor sees this patient again.

        I thank each of you very much for the continued encouragement and
        prayers. You should know that the process is boring, frightening, and
        stressful. As you might know, the reserve eye is blind and not useful
        except for limited reading. This creates the stressful part as a
        failure in this recovery will leave my eyesight compromised.

        My attitude is still positive. And it is still interesting to look
        upon the world each day and marvel at the small improving steps along
        the new path.

        Each of you in my spheres of community help me keep my attitude
        positive, my outlook bright, and the future so full of promise. Are
        those the same thing? Hmmmmm

        73