VE Test Session

  • Jon Plyler
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 4, 2006
      What a great day at this morning's VE session at the Muskegon Red Cross!
      Two Tech plus to General candidates from Ludington - passed!
      Two new Technician hopefuls from Holland - passed!
      Two other new Tech hopefuls - passed!
      One pre-1987 Tech grandfathered in for General!

      As VE's, it's sometimes hard to convince a test candidate that we really are there to help them, not to keep them out.  It's a real drag having to tell anyone that they didn't make it - just ask WB8OQT.  It's days like this that really make being a VE fun.

      Also, this is a good opportunity to thank all of you that take part in licensing classes and elmering.  The time and expertise you put into helping others is greatly appreciated and admired.  Thank you!
      73,

      Jon AB8RD

    • Bill Fries
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2006

        We are building a simple tape measure and pvc pipe yagi antenna for two meter fox hunting.  This cheap and simple antenna can be used in transmitter hunts.  The cost of the antenna is not yet set.  It will be cheap because of the materials and the number of folks pitching in on the cost.

        The event is scheduled for 10:00 am local time on Saturday February 18.  We will construct the antennas at the MAARC clubhouse.  Visit yahoo maps and insert the address, 2888 Scenic Drive in Muskegon.  Basically the place is just south of the Red Rooster Restaurant and Tavern on Scenic, north of Muskegon and south of Whitehall.

        We need a good head count so we don't end up short on, oh, say, tape measures.  So please reply with an RSVP to let me count you in the head count.

        It is suggested that we construct the antenna and attach a short length of coax.  You will need to bring along the thingie that matches the coax to your radio.  That thingie is the pl-259 or n connector or whatever.

        We want to construct and tune the antenna.  Then we want to use them to "find" a known fox location so you know how to actually use the antenna to do its designed job.

        So, please pass this message around and let everyone know that all are welcome to enjoy this activity.

        Bruce, WD8KPQ is heading this adventure.  I am just passing the word, taking down participating names, and purchasing some of the material for the antenna.  So, please come out and enjoy the event, bring along a friend, and we'll enjoy the day.

        Let me know you will be participating.  I need to purchase the material for all.

        Bill, AB8SC

        President of the Muskegon Radio Club

      • Bill Fries
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2006

          Just an update on the antenna building.  Bruce, WD8KPQ is lining up all the things we need for this project.  This includes the "thingie" to attaché the coax to your radio.  We will have PL-259 "thingies" and N connectors.  If your rig is different, you are building an antenna, and you don't have the "thingie" then you MUST let me know.  Bruce is purchasing the connectors through AES and will have an adequate number.  But YOU MUST let me know if the connector is unique.  We will be ordering the items early next week and will put your request in with the order.

          We will be making ten of these antennas.  They will cost $20 or less each.  So bring along the money you need to cover the cost of the antenna.  The major expense is in the connector, so maybe your antenna will be a little more or a little less.

          We MUST HAVE a hard head count.  We will not build more than ten antennas without having a hard count ahead of time.  So, if you're feeling lucky, want to build but don't want to let me know, or you’re ambivalent, then pass up this chance or show at the clubhouse with crossed fingers.  Hi!

          Ten in the morning a week from Saturday.

          Questions?  Drop me a line.

          We may have five or so signed up for this class.  Buy don’t count on your name being on the list.  E-MAIL me, now, to ensure your RSVP.

          Bill, AB8SC

        • Jon Plyler
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2006
            Hi Bill,
            Are these antennas usable for transmitting?  I was just curious how they would do as an antenna for sideband - might be a good choice for portable operations.  On FM, might work well for longer distance simplex?

            You can put down Matthew, Samuel, and I for attending, but we will only build two antennas.  I'll help the boys on theirs.  I think for foxhunting on 2 meters, a BNC connector might be useful.  Are there some other considerations that might make another type of connector a better choice?

            Jon AB8RD