Fw: [WestMichiganHams] Tulip Time Festival 2007

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2007
      Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 22:34
      Subject: [WestMichiganHams] Tulip Time Festival 2007

      Hello, it might not feel like Spring Time is just around the corner but it
      will be here very soon, with Spring's arrival comes the 2007 Tulip Time
      Festival. As in the past the Amateur Radio Operators and the American Red
      Cross will be providing support along the parade routes during the three
      Tulip Time parades.

      The first parade is scheduled for Wednesday, May 9, which we will need
      twelve Amateur Radio Operators to work as a Team with two American Red Cross
      First Aid Responders in covering a one block section of the parade route.
      Along with two Net Control Operators, we will need a total of fourteen
      Amateur Radio Operators, during the time frame of approximately noon until

      The second parade is scheduled for Thursday, May 10, which we will need the
      same number of Amateur Radio Operators as the Wednesday parade, during the
      same approximate time frame. The rain date for this parade will be Friday,
      May 11, 2006.

      The third, the largest, and the longest parade is schedule for Saturday, May
      12, which we will need twenty-four Amateur Radio Operators to cover a
      one-block section of the expanded parade route, along with two-three Net
      Control Operators. Also during this parade we need packet radio stations
      setup and operating at the American Red Cross Tulip Time Headquarters,
      Holland High School, and at Net Control.

      Also for the Saturday parade, Amateur Radio Operators are needed to assist
      with parade lineup. This group will be working within their own net, and on
      a different frequency than the parade route Teams. We need approximately
      ten operators, six assigned to specific Division Parade Marshals, one to
      work with the floats, one to assist the TV Crew with their coverage, one to
      work with the cars, one to work directly with the Grand Marshal, and two Net
      Control Operators. Adding up the various activities on Saturday, we need
      approximately forty Amateur Radio Operators just to cover what we currently
      know needs to be covered.

      As one can see, this is large operation in which one Club or Group cannot
      handle on their own. Please we need your help in getting the word out to
      all area Amateur Radio Operators of this need. Many have done this festival
      for years and have their favorite spots to serve. If you are willing to
      serve, and have a favorite spot, please let me know I will to my best to
      assign you to that specific position. For those that are new to the hobby
      or those that have sat on the sidelines in the past years, please consider
      giving it a try. It is fun, and is a great way to brush up on your net
      operating procedures while providing a highly visible community service.

      If you're interested in volunteering, please provide me with you full name,
      call sign, physical limitations or special needs, contact phone number,
      email address, and any special assignments you would like to cover.
      Please email Dave Lamer WA8RSA directly at wa8rsa@charter. net if you're
      interested in working the parade line-up on Saturday.

      Thank you in advance!

      Best regards,

      Steve Vander Hill - N8UJD
      svanderhill@ chartermi. net

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 9, 2007
        Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 12:11

        Hello, it's hard to believe that the Tulip Time Festival parades are only a
        month away with the Michigan weather we've been receiving lately.

        The purpose of the email is to ask for your assistance in filling the open
        the position for the three parades in which we work hand-in-hand with the
        American Red Cross and AMR in providing First Aid and emergency response
        along the parade route.

        For both the Wednesday (May 9) parade and the Thursday (May 10) parade we
        are short ONE POSITION, and that is an Assistant Net Control Operator.

        For the big parade on Saturday (May 12) we are short FOURTEEN POSITIONS,
        thirteen positions as a member of the walking American Red Cross First Aid
        Teams, and one position working ARES packet. If you know of anyone who
        would be interested in volunteering for these open positions, please have
        him or her drop me an email as soon as possible.

        Thanks again to those that have already volunteered their skills,
        enthusiasm, and equipment in making the Tulip Time festival such an
        enjoyable one.

        Best regards,

        Steve - N8UJD