Amsterdam Islands, FT5ZM

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8 5:04 AM
      I know the formatting seems all wrong and ugly. This is a very important announcement from the DX community. Mark your calendar. This one doesn't come around very often:

      FT5Z, AMSTERDAM ISLANDS (Press Release). Ralph Fedor, K0IR, sent out the
      following on April 3rd, to the 'The DX Community' [edited]: "I am pleased to
      announce a major DXpedition scheduled to occur during January and February of
      2014.
      An international team of 14 experienced DXpedition operators, led by K0IR,
      will depart from Fremantle, Australia, in early January of 2014.
      Their destination will be Amsterdam Island (FT5Z).
      Amsterdam Island is under the administration of Terres Australes et
      Antarctiques Francaises (TAAF). There are strict rules and environmental
      regulations in place on Amsterdam Island and access is limited. Represent-
      atives of this DXpedition team met with TAAF officials on Reunion Island in
      November and in Paris in early March. The team's plan and credentials were
      reviewed at those meetings, and resulted in TAAF's final, written authorization
      to land on Amsterdam Island and conduct this DXpedition.
      The team has been granted an 18 day access to the island to occur between the
      dates of January 15th and February 20th of 2014.
      The team will sail from Fremantle, Australia aboard the MV Braveheart.
      The voyage to Amsterdam Island will take them through the 'roaring 40s'
      of the Indian Ocean and last about 8 days, depending on the wind and weather.
      TAAF has reviewed the Braveheart's specifications, environmental precautions,
      and emergency response plan and has designated anchorage conditions for the
      vessel. Landing at Amsterdam must be timed according to sea conditions as there
      is no natural harbor to shield the landing area from the open sea. This may
      necessitate waiting off shore until the sea conditions are suitable. But, our 18
      day window does not start until we step onto the island.
      Once ashore, the team will move to two station positions assigned by TAAF. The
      two locations are about 2 kilometers apart. Each location will allow a full
      complement of antennas. The separation will allow simultaneous CW/RTTY and SSB
      transmission on the open bands. The group plans on eight stations; four at each
      location. Elecraft K3's, a full complement of antennas, and 500 watt and 1.5 KW
      amplifiers will be the backbone of the station configurations.
      The operators are well known in the DXing and contesting world and
      include: 9V1YC, EY8MM, FM5CD, HK1R, K4UEE, K9CT, LA6VM, N4GRN, N6HC, VE3EJ,
      VE7CT, W6IZT, WB9Z, and yours truly K0IR.
      Our website is in the final stages of preparation. When it is complete,
      you may access it at: http://www.amsterdamdx.org
      The website will be password protected until it is ready.
      As with past DXpeditions to 'Top Ten' countries, this is a costly venture. The
      expenses total just over $400,000 (U.S.). Each operator must contribute a
      minimum of $10,000 of his own money, pay his own way to Fremantle, Australia, be
      away from home and family for six weeks, spend
      16 to 18 days at sea, and be prepared for the financial and physical risks
      inherent in a major DXpedition of this magnitude.
      The group needs your financial support to successfully complete this major
      project and is asking all DX'ers to contribute what they can to make this
      happen. We know that clubs and major sponsors will help us; INDEXA has already
      made an extremely generous contribution to the project and the NCDXF has honored
      with a very large grant. But we also need the help of individual DX'ers, not
      only from North America, but also from Europe, Asia, Africa, South America, and
      Oceania. Let's make this happen!
      Then, let's enjoy the chase of a new country, a new band country, or working a
      rare one! 73 - Ralph Fedor - K0IR"
      ADDED NOTES:
      * Since the press release, it was announced by Stan, SQ8X, that the
      callsign of the 2014 Amsterdam Island DXpedition will be FT5ZM.
      Also, both Facebook and Twitter pages at now available at:
      https://www.facebook.com/FT5ZM
      https://twitter.com/FT5ZM
      * NCDXF PRESS RELEASE (Major Grant to Amsterdam Island DXpedition):
      "FOR IMMEDIATE PUBLICATION - April 4, 2013 -- The Northern California
      DX Foundation is pleased to announce a grant of $50,000 to the FT/Z
      Amsterdam Island DXpedition planned for Jan-Feb 2014. Amsterdam is
      #4 on the DX Magazine's Most Wanted List for 2013.
      This is the second largest grant in NCDXF's history. Without major
      financial support from NCDXF, DXpeditions like this to challenging
      or rare locations would not be possible.
      <www.amsterdamdx.org/> will soon post the DXpedition details.
      For the past 41 years the NCDXF has funded major DXpeditions to many
      Most Wanted Entities. The credit for these large grants goes to the
      NCDXF contributors, individuals and clubs, who make DX like this
      possible. Have you contributed yet?
      ... 73, Glenn Johnson, W0GJ
      NCDXF Vice President
      <http://www.ncdxf.org>"