- John, KD8YL was out there with us, too. ... From: W8ZHO@yahoogroups.com [mailto:W8ZHO@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of NA8M Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:53 AM To:Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2012View SourceJohn, KD8YL was out there with us, too.-----Original Message-----
From: W8ZHO@yahoogroups.com [mailto:W8ZHO@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of NA8M
Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 6:53 AM
Subject: [W8ZHO] We Dodged a Bullet!
This week we learned that the power company condemned our electrical power in the clubhouse. Thanks to the fast acting efforts of Mark, K8MHZ and Chuck, W8CCS a disaster was averted. The following is a copy of an email from Mark on this subject:
Just waiting for Consumers to hook back up.
Chuck Stark paid for all the materials (18 ft. #2 wire and some miscellaneous hardware) so you owe him big time.
Although the damage was limited to one end of one conductor and one terminal in the meter socket, the conductors were not the proper type to begin with. The best of the two was TW and not rated for 100 amps. The other one was unmarked, with cloth based insulation, probably a half century old. Both were replaced with new #2AWG THHN/THWN. The old meter socket was replaced with a new one, courtesy of Consumers Energy, which they really don't know about yet.
The damage was initiated by the fact that one terminal never got tightened up during installation. That is evident in the pics. It amazes me that it lasted as long as it did with just a surface contact connection. The club may have had a spark rig operating in their meter socket for years albeit unbeknownst to the licensee.
I also discovered that the panel was not bonded to the neutral / ground. In other words it was just 'floating'. There is a special hole that uses a special green screw for the purpose. The hole was there, but the screw was not. Luckily I had one in my van so now the panel is properly bonded.
Seriously though, this could have been ugly. I'm glad I got to intervene when I did and nothing real bad became of it.
Cheers and 73,