Re: [W8ZHO] Re: ARISS1 Sat

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 19, 2011
      That is kind of what we figured. We will have to try again soon. It was fun.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 19, 2011
        I say we do it again Saturday night. who's game???

        Dave Thill
        KD8OCZ

        You may be too young to remember the launch of AO-7 back in Nov 1974.    It's battery shorted,  it was "dead", then magically the batteries un shorted some 20 years later,  and the bird came back to life. It is still operating wonderfully !!!.     When in sunlight, AO7 signals are strong and stable and the bird will be in orbit longer than most of us will be listening.........My only regret, is I didn't get the email about the group gathering until after the pass.....There will be others..........KV8X

        --- In W8ZHO@yahoogroups.com, "kc8pcj" <kc8pcj@...> wrote:

        > A few of us are heading to the ovals, Lake Michigan to take a crack at coping the mail from ARISS1 Sat. SSTV, and voice msg. Meeting just north of the Muskegon water plant in parking lot. Should give us line of site for about 10-15 min pass. Will be meeting at 8:15. Pass is at 8:53.
        >
        > Pass starts towards Chicago goes to 67 degrees north of our location and end towards Canada north of Maine.
        >
        > Anyone interested come on down. We will be monitoring the 82 repeater.
        >
        > 73s
        > Jim
        > KC8PCJ
        > In God I Trust.
        > If there no Light at the end of the tunnel, Just march right down there and turn it on.

      • Al Pepping
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 19, 2011
          Mother nature.....forecast.?????..clouds, rain and maybe thunderstorms........It's especially challenging to get a visual in the cakemix in the great lakes.     Fortunately we do not need big arrays to track the LEO birds, but we do need special types of antennas that actually work best towards the Zenith ( straight overhead).....Simple to build and they have been proven in many missions into space......Also, one of the problems with the new sat is somehow, the 70cm antenna was not with the launch package so many of the functions the sat was designed to do like transponder, won't function.     KV8X

          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 19, 2011
            May be out of town for a while tomorrow but if back in time I will be there.

            Sent: Friday, August 19, 2011 7:36 PM

            I say we do it again Saturday night. who's game???

            Dave Thill
            KD8OCZ

            You may be too young to remember the launch of AO-7 back in Nov 1974.    It's battery shorted,  it was "dead", then magically the batteries un shorted some 20 years later,  and the bird came back to life. It is still operating wonderfully !!!.     When in sunlight, AO7 signals are strong and stable and the bird will be in orbit longer than most of us will be listening.........My only regret, is I didn't get the email about the group gathering until after the pass.....There will be others..........KV8X

            I had to ask, "Why didn't we hear more of the 'bird' on this past evening's pass?"

            The answer is a battery problem on the satellite.

            http://www.arissat1.org/v3/

            Thanks, Jim, Dave, Randy, XYLs, and the inquisitive public. This was fun! Reflecting on the evening's activity it was like an astronomy demonstration. Kind of.

            Most excellent!

            Bill, NA8M

            --- In mailto:W8ZHO%40yahoogroups.com, "kc8pcj" <kc8pcj@...> wrote:

            > A few of us are heading
            to the ovals, Lake Michigan to take a crack at coping the mail from ARISS1 Sat. SSTV, and voice msg. Meeting just north of the Muskegon water plant in parking lot. Should give us line of site for about 10-15 min pass. Will be meeting at 8:15. Pass is at 8:53.

            > Pass starts towards
            Chicago goes to 67 degrees north of our location and end towards Canada north of Maine.

            > Anyone interested come on down. We will
            be monitoring the 82 repeater.

            > 73s
            > Jim

            KC8PCJ

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 20, 2011
              I have found here in Michigan you plan up to the last minute and than check the weather.

              Hoping it clears up for this evening.

              Sent: Friday, August 19, 2011 11:03 PM

              Mother nature.....forecast.?????..clouds, rain and maybe thunderstorms........It's especially challenging to get a visual in the cakemix in the great lakes.     Fortunately we do not need big arrays to track the LEO birds, but we do need special types of antennas that actually work best towards the Zenith ( straight overhead).....Simple to build and they have been proven in many missions into space......Also, one of the problems with the new sat is somehow, the 70cm antenna was not with the launch package so many of the functions the sat was designed to do like transponder, won't function.     KV8X

              I say we do it again Saturday night. who's game???

              Dave Thill
              KD8OCZ

              You may be too young to remember the launch of AO-7 back in Nov 1974.    It's battery shorted,  it was "dead", then magically the batteries un shorted some 20 years later,  and the bird came back to life. It is still operating wonderfully !!!.     When in sunlight, AO7 signals are strong and stable and the bird will be in orbit longer than most of us will be listening.........My only regret, is I didn't get the email about the group gathering until after the pass.....There will be others..........KV8X

              I had to ask, "Why didn't we hear more of the 'bird' on this past evening's pass?"

              The answer is a battery problem on the satellite.

              http://www.arissat1.org/v3/

              Thanks, Jim, Dave, Randy, XYLs, and the inquisitive public. This was fun! Reflecting on the evening's activity it was like an astronomy demonstration. Kind of.

              Most excellent!

              Bill, NA8M

              --- In mailto:W8ZHO%40yahoogroups.com, "kc8pcj" <kc8pcj@...> wrote:

              > A few of us are
              heading to the ovals, Lake Michigan to take a crack at coping the mail from ARISS1 Sat. SSTV, and voice msg. Meeting just north of the Muskegon water plant in parking lot. Should give us line of site for about 10-15 min pass. Will be meeting at 8:15. Pass is at 8:53.

              > Pass starts towards C hicago goes to 67
              degrees north of our location and end towards Canada north of Maine.

              > Anyone interested come on down. We will be
              monitoring the 82 repeater.

              > 73s
              > Jim

              KC8PCJ

              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 20, 2011
                Same place, on the lake shore in the first parking lot north of the water treatment plant? What time?

                Linda says we should bring flyers for the questioning public.

                WX permitting I'd like to take a listen, too.

                Bill, NA8M

                --- In W8ZHO@yahoogroups.com, David Thill <thill_8@...> wrote:

                > I say we do it again Saturday night. who's game???
                >

                > Dave Thill
                > KD8OCZ

              • David Thill
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 20, 2011
                  yes same place im going to try to br thir around 8 the pass starts at 8:20

                  Dave Thill
                  KD8OCZ