Re: [W8ZHO] Re: Where Are The Old QSL Cards?

  • Clarke Cooper
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2, 2011
      I stand corrected:
      Thanks Al for your info.
      Being 37 years since receiving all of the stuff from Chuck -W8MM,  I stand to be corrected.
      You were correct. It was Chuck that did give all of the Ham Equipment to  MAARC & not his wife. He wanted to give it to W8ZHO because he was assured that it would be of some use that would be secure.

      Thanks Al.

      Clarke ~ K8BP

      From: Clarke Cooper
      Date: 2/2/2011 2:04:08 PM
      To: W8ZHO@yahoogroups.com

      Hello Bill:
      For your information, the widow of Chuck - W8MM in Greenville contacted me
      shortly after the death of Chuck when I was president in 1974 or 1975. It
      was the wishes of Chuck that all of his equipment and memorabilia be given
      to the Muskegon W8ZHO club who at that time had such a high standard and
      visibility in the amateur radio community.
      Warren Hornes, who was the club treasurer and I drove to Greenville with my
      trailer and received all of Chuck's items that he had donated to W8ZHO from
      his wife. I do believe that Chuck picked MAARC do to the high profile and
      outstanding activities that W8ZHO was involved in such as putting on the
      Great Lakes Convention, mentoring new hams as well as the many more
      community activities MAARC was involved in during those years.

      After receiving all of Chuck's items from Chuck's wife, we categorized all
      of the items and put many of the antique items in glass cases. With the
      Collins rigs, amplifiers, teletype machines, tubes etc. all were in full
      working order with the clubs Drake twins at W8ZHO.

      Because of Chuck's donated items, it was decide to put on an addition to the
      clubhouse. So Bill Spreckem, Warren Hornes and myself put on the major
      portion of the addition to the clubhouse. Prior to the addition, we did have
      some help from other members with the digging and forming of the footings.
      Shortly after completing the clubhouse addition, I had to relinquish my
      W8ZHO Presidency because I took a engineering position in Haifa, Israel
      where Betty and our adopted daughter Monica lived for 4 years wonderful
      years. While in Israel, I had the privilege to work over 30,000 QSO's in
      which many of my Michigan contacts were to Larry Zawlocki, Warren Horness,
      Nils Jensen at W8ZHO who now were operating with Chuck's -W8MM donated
      equipment. When I returned from Israel, I was plant engineer for Muskegon
      Piston Ring for a short while until I was asked to move to Manitowoc,
      Wisconsin. There in Manitowoc, I was Electrical Engineering Project manager
      where I worked for 20 years until my retirement
      After my retirement, I moved back to our home in Michigan. When I visited
      W8ZHO, I was appalled to see so many of the items missing. Where did the all
      of the rigs and stuff go? The item's in the glass cases at the club are just
      a drop in the bucket of what was given to the club. Where did the rest go.
      ????????
      When I retired in 2001 I moved back to Michigan and was immediately
      re-elected following Bob Voyt. I tried to find out what happened to some of
      the missing items to no avail.
      Well Bill, I hope that I have shed a bit of history of the Club and
      Clubhouse.
      If I seem to have a chip on my shoulder, you can see in this email why I
      still carry that deep sorrow in my heart.

      In the meantime, have a great day.
      Clarke ~ K8BP

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2, 2011
        Bill last summer a couple of us were looking at some old cards from back in the 40s. It seems like they were is a metal card file. They were realy cool to look at.

        In God I Trust.

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2, 2011
          As Al said, the Venturing Crew did put many of the old cards into photo albums. The albums were placed next to the metal file/card bins that still contained many more QSL cards. As you walked in the club door, it was on the top of the cabinets on the right. If they are not there, they may be in the radio room on the corner of the desk that is under the front window. Those are the only two places I can recall seeing the cards since the crew put them in the albums.

          Best Regards,
          Rich "Doc" AC8AL

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2, 2011
            Doc and Jim:

            I have, indeed, found many old QSL cards in photo albums right inside the clubhouse. I looked at every one of those cards, hoping, each time, that they acknowledged a QSO with W8ZHO. Those successes were few and very rare. The vast, major, majority of the cards were VERY old and from 8MM and W8MM. Chuck lived in Greenville, MI and he gave a large ham collection to the MAARC.

            Yes, fascinating that there are easily a dozen QSL cards to 8MM with dates in the 1920s. The cards date all the way into the 1970s. Sad he became a sk before the end of that decade.

            73