Where Are The Old QSL Cards?

    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 2 4:43 AM
      Help!

      Where are the club's old QSL cards? I mean, the ones from the "other" station memorializing a QSO with W8ZHO. The majority of QSL cards I find are no older than '88. Except a WB8BXB/4X from Israel in the mid seventies. There should be QSL cards dating back to at least the fifties. Where, oh where?

      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 2 4:51 AM
        By the way, an update on a project I just took on.

        Most of the contest logging we do at the clubhouse is run through N3FJP software. The clubhouse shack's computer also has logging software. You're encouraged to log QSOs on the clubhouse computer. Recently I've been logging QSL cards into the electronic logbook.

        There are over 4K QSOs in the club's main logbook. A nice, fat number.

        In there we have confirmed: WAC, WAS (except WY and DE), and twenty-eight DXCC entities.

        And that's before we upload the logbook to LoTW. Then we're sure to get more QSLs on the ARRL's system.

        You are encouraged to offer a favor to the club. We would like to data enter old QSOs. Talk to me and I'll offer an old logbook. You enter the logbook into the system, I then take your work and merge it with the main logbook at the clubhouse, and we'll have QSOs going back a few years.

        Are you game? Hope so!

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 2 5:18 AM
          "Except a WB8BXB/4X from Israel in the mid seventies."

          Was that your call, Clarke, K8BP? I did see the QSL and entered the QSO. Nice that you worked W8ZHO from Israel. Thanks!

          Bill, NA8M
        • Clarke Cooper
          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 2 6:27 AM
            Hello Bill: Good to have someone looking after W8ZHO QSL Cards.

            Since I had 2 calls while living in Israel you should have WD8ONX/4x4 & K8BP/4x4 that I sent to the club.   You should also have WA9BVB which was my first call living in Evanston & Wilmette, IL.

            Hope you and Linda are handling the bad weather out there in the mid west. Sounds like the weather of 1967 when I was living in Illinois.

            Weather this morning is 32 deg. but no snow.

            Take care.   Clarke

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 2 6:51 AM
              Clarke:

              I'm sorry I messed up your call sign. I know it's right in the logbook on the computer. I got your QSL card from the wall map in the shack.

              I Know there must be other old cards somewhere. But where...? I looked under, in, over, around all kinds of places in the clubhouse. No joy finding anything older than '88 (except your mid seventies QSL). Most of the DX cards on the wall map are some other ham's.

              Would you, please, pass the word that I'm looking? Did someone take them home for safe keeping?

              By the way, there is a Stack of cards from 8MM and W8MM. Chuck lived in Greenville, MI, I think. Who was this guy and why do we have his card collection? There are more of them than W8ZHO cards. They go back into the 1920s. Really great!

              And, by the way, I haven't even started looking for old logbooks. That's fun saved for another day. Eventually I hope to have all QSOs into the electronic logbook going back to 1945 and the "resurrection." Would those logbooks be stored with the old QSL cards? Just wonderin'.

              Thanks for the help.
            • Clarke Cooper
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 2 11:03 AM
                Hello Bill:
                For your information, the widow of Chuck - W8MM in Greenville contacted me shortly after the death of Chuck when I was president in 1974 or 1975. It was the wishes of Chuck that all of his equipment and memorabilia be given to the Muskegon W8ZHO club who at that time had such a high standard and visibility in the amateur radio community.
                Warren Hornes, who was the club treasurer and I drove to Greenville with my trailer and received all of Chuck's items that he had donated to W8ZHO from his wife. I do believe that Chuck picked MAARC do to the high profile and outstanding activities that W8ZHO was involved in such as putting on the Great Lakes Convention, mentoring new hams as well as the many more community activities MAARC was involved in during those years.

                After receiving all of Chuck's items from Chuck's wife, we categorized all of the items and put many of the antique items in glass cases.  With the Collins rigs, amplifiers, teletype machines, tubes etc. all were in full working order with the clubs Drake twins at W8ZHO.

                Because of Chuck's donated items, it was decide to put on an addition to the clubhouse. So  Bill Spreckem, Warren Hornes and myself put on the major portion of the addition to the clubhouse. Prior to the addition, we did have some help from other members with the digging and forming of the footings.
                Shortly after completing the clubhouse addition, I had to relinquish my W8ZHO Presidency because I took a engineering position in Haifa, Israel where Betty and our adopted daughter Monica lived for 4 years wonderful years. While in Israel, I had the privilege to work over 30,000 QSO's in which many of my Michigan contacts were to Larry Zawlocki, Warren Horness, Nils Jensen at W8ZHO who now were operating with Chuck's -W8MM donated equipment. When I returned from Israel, I was plant engineer for Muskegon Piston Ring for a short while until I was asked to move to Manitowoc, Wisconsin. There in Manitowoc, I was Electrical Engineering Project manager where I worked for 20 years until my retirement
                After my retirement, I moved back to our home in Michigan. When I visited W8ZHO, I was appalled to see so many of the items missing. Where did the all of the rigs and stuff go? The item's in the glass cases at the club are just a drop in the bucket of what was given to the club. Where did the rest go. ????????
                When I retired in 2001 I moved back to Michigan and was immediately re-elected following Bob Voyt. I tried to find out what happened to some of the missing items to no avail.
                Well Bill, I hope that I have shed a bit of history of the Club and Clubhouse.
                If I seem to have a chip on my shoulder, you can see in this email why I still carry that deep sorrow in my heart.

                In the meantime, have a great day.
                Clarke ~ K8BP

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 2 12:51 PM
                  The old QSL cards were put in plastic loose leaf filers by the Venture Crew
                  to better protect them and make it easier for members to look at the. Last
                  I recall seeing them a couple years ago they were in the file cabinet area
                  in the hallway. The Drake twins were recently sold to a club member as they
                  were deteriorating from non use. The Collins transmitter is in the care and
                  restoration of Bob WB8OQT as I last recall, it needs either a power or mod
                  transformer......quite rare and very expensive. I believe the FAA receiver
                  1930's vintage is still setting atop the glass cabinet. Chuck W8MM, became
                  a SK in June 1979 at the age of 85. I researched the old cards back when I
                  was shack manager and this is how I attained some of the above history. The
                  cards on the pin board in the radio shack came from WN8OJI,WA8OJI, lastly
                  K8NJ, Nils Jansson. Nils was a master at DXing. Nils became a SK in
                  1995, we got our novices within weeks of each other back in '65, he was my
                  first QSO and I still have his novice QSL card framed on my wall......#1....
                  ...We were friends for 30 years.... KV8X

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 2 1:56 PM
                    I stand corrected:
                    Thanks Al for your info.
                    Being 37 years since receiving all of the stuff from Chuck -W8MM,  I stand to be corrected.
                    You were correct. It was Chuck that did give all of the Ham Equipment to  MAARC & not his wife. He wanted to give it to W8ZHO because he was assured that it would be of some use that would be secure.

                    Thanks Al.

                    Clarke ~ K8BP

                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 2 2:52 PM
                      Bill last summer a couple of us were looking at some old cards from back in the 40s. It seems like they were is a metal card file. They were realy cool to look at.

                      In God I Trust.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 2 3:26 PM
                        As Al said, the Venturing Crew did put many of the old cards into photo albums. The albums were placed next to the metal file/card bins that still contained many more QSL cards. As you walked in the club door, it was on the top of the cabinets on the right. If they are not there, they may be in the radio room on the corner of the desk that is under the front window. Those are the only two places I can recall seeing the cards since the crew put them in the albums.

                        Best Regards,
                        Rich "Doc" AC8AL

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 2 4:48 PM
                          Doc and Jim:

                          I have, indeed, found many old QSL cards in photo albums right inside the clubhouse. I looked at every one of those cards, hoping, each time, that they acknowledged a QSO with W8ZHO. Those successes were few and very rare. The vast, major, majority of the cards were VERY old and from 8MM and W8MM. Chuck lived in Greenville, MI and he gave a large ham collection to the MAARC.

                          Yes, fascinating that there are easily a dozen QSL cards to 8MM with dates in the 1920s. The cards date all the way into the 1970s. Sad he became a sk before the end of that decade.

                          73