Flex Radio

  • Jim KC8PCJ
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 4, 2010
      My daughters new boyfriend happens to be a ham. He has not been active for a while but after meeting him a spark has been created again. He is looking at purchasing a Flex Radio so he can operate his base station from a remote locations as his work takes him out of town often. The question I have is that not being on site with the radio as control operator, Can he legally operate this radio via internet from many miles away. I am thinking not because he would not be able to physically control the radio if something went wrong or his internet connection was lost.

      Looking for others thought and/or knowledge on this topic.

    • larryW8UJ
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2010
        Jim,

        It's legal to operate the shack from afar - a good example is W9AD.  http://w9ad.com/

        Dave operates the home shack in IL from the winter home in Morelia, Mexico using a Flex SDR-5000A, (N8LP) LP-Remote hardware and software, and Skype. He does have to leave the home station AC power and antenna physically connected to some degree - he did suffer a lighting strike at the home station while in Mexico - could have been a fire from that, but there was not.

        Good to hear about your daughter's boyfriend - maybe remote op is for him, too.

        73, Larry W8UJ

        My daughters new boyfriend happens to be a ham. He has not been active for a while but after meeting him a spark has been created again. He is looking at purchasing a Flex Radio so he can operate his base station from a remote locations as his work takes him out of town often. The question I have is that not being on site with the radio as control operator, Can he legally operate this radio via internet from many miles away. I am thinking not because he would not be able to physically control the radio if something went wrong or his internet connection was lost.

        Looking for others thought and/or knowledge on this topic.

      • Al Pepping
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2010
          Hi Jim....Yes he can operate his radio via remote control, but there still must be an alternate way for him to shut down his station in the event of a transmit problem.  Technically, rules that apply to remote base operation do not apply here because he is not using a separate amateur radio transmitter to control his main transmitter.  He is using the Internet.  But he is still the control operator regardless of where he is operating from.  The bottom line is the control operator operating from his station location (the one listed on your license) is responsible for transmissions from that location.   One popular radio that is used for remote operation is the Ten TEC Omni 7.  It can be controlled via a high speed Ethernet connection.  I would suggest a call to Ten Tec and see how they do Ethernet control.  My station is now fully remote control, but since I have to be within the range of my low power LAN, a secondary means of shutting down the system is not necessary as I am not any more than a hundred feet from my transmitter so I can shut it down manually if there is a problem.    But's it's neat to be able to control fully control my Jupiter from the lazy boy in lounge B or on the patio deck.  Then there is the problem of what happens when a thunderstorm suddenly pops up and there is no one is there to disconnect the antenna his very expensive Flex radio.   One problem with Ethernet operation is it requires high speed (bandwidth) because it has to stream the audio to and from along with the control signals.  Dial up or DSL may be too slow, you will have to talk to the experts who do this.  Check out W9AD website, he used to operate his Flex radio remotely until lightning wiped him out...no home to disconnect during a storm.

                                                                                                                                                                                          Al....KV8X