Tech Class Coming to Fremont

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2009
      Group:

      The stars have aligned and we are going to be learning amateur radio!

      Classes will run from seven o'clock until eight-thirty Wednesday evenings starting November 18 for six weeks. That is next week. We will hold classes at the First Congregational Church, 714 Hillcrest Drive, Fremont. The church is a few blocks east and the one on the right from downtown Fremont.

      I will have books available for this class. Books cost $20 each and you should buy a book.

      During the class you will learn about ham radio through the book, using the video instruction, enjoying discussion with ham radio operators, and using the Internet.

      The material you will learn is not difficult. But the FCC and the ham community will not "give" you the license. The final exam test is difficult and not trivial. There is a fifteen dollar fee to take the test. Our class instruction is specifically designed to get you comfortable with the material on this test. After you pass this exam you will be assigned your call sign and you can enjoy your new amateur radio privileges as a New Year's resolution reward.

      We hope to see you all at these classes. If you're not sure, you can audit the class to learn much more about the best hobby a guy could enjoy. Really!

      If you know of anyone not getting this news you should forward this email. Bring a friend or parent. We'll enjoy the learning experience together.

      73

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 12, 2009

        With a heavy heart I report that Dale, K8PY has died. We all send our thoughts and prayers to his XYL, Carol, W8CJC.

        Dale has been a friend of W8ZHO for decades. He started hanging around the clubhouse back when he was a teenager (legally, not figuratively as in the Teenage Net). He was a wonderful friend of the MAARC. We will miss him dearly.

        In his later years the Parkinson's was just too much to bear.

        It is too early to know more regarding arrangements.

        73 old friend.