July 15th CARC Build Event

  • Barry Odum
    Message 1 of 7 , May 26, 2017
      Hello radio enthusiasts!  I'm trying come up with a good project for our upcoming build event.  It is scheduled for July 15th.  I'm open to ideas if anyone has anything they think might be a good group build.  Here is something interesting that I came across.

      It is a voice keyer that you build into your Yaesu MH-31 microphone.  It will work with some Icom and Kenwood models too, but it may not fit inside of the mic body.  For me, this is a perfect solution for portable operating with my FT-991A.  This should also work with the FT-857, FT-897, and FT-817 (all similar mics).  It is said to work with the Icom IC-706 and IC-7000 also, but I'm not sure if you can get the board into the Icom mic body.

      Is anyone interested in building this voice keyer?  Does anyone have any other project suggestions?

      Thank you,

      Barry Odum, AK4PY
      CARC President
      Columbus, Georgia
    • Chris Hood
      Message 2 of 7 , May 26, 2017
        I have an idea. For future build.
        What if we built an Allstar node using the uv888 radio.

        One month buy and build the RA-35 radio interface. (Kit is 35 bucks.)

        Next month build cables and connect to radios.
        (21 bucks)

        Next month connect everything to a Rpi3 and load software.
        (35 bucks = raw board / 70 bucks = entire kit with enclosure, power supply and heat synchs)

        Message 3 of 7 , May 26, 2017
          I think this is an excellent idea, Chris!  Is anyone else interested in building AllStar nodes?  For those that may not know what this is, AllStar is an open source IP based radio linking network.  It is a lot like IRLP and EchoLink, but has some pretty good advantages.  For one, it is possible to remotely control a rig through AllStar.  With the other technologies, you cannot control a rig remotely without using other means.  For this project, we would be creating portable hotspot AllStar nodes.  This is a good way to get indoor coverage for your HT.  You could link your node to another AllStar resource and then use your HT all over the world.  These nodes are handy for travelers too.

          Barry Odum, AK4PY
          CARC President
          Columbus, Georgia

[...]

        • Kevin Roberts

              Message 6 of 7 , May 29, 2017
                Robert, et al:

                Once the node is built, tweaked, and running properly, it uses voice
                announcements.

                For example, when you dial the connect command and the node number you
                wish to connect to, All-star will tell you whether the connection was
                successful or not. The same applies when you send the disconnect
                command, the node will tell you that you have disconnected from the
                remote node.

                There is also a command to have All-star tell you what the status of
                your node is, such as telling if the node is in transceive mode or, the
                node you are directly connected to.

                Just about any radio will work, you do not need anything special. Some
                radios are just more "friendly" to work with. Depending on what you are
                trying to accomplish, some radios will be more desirable than others.

                The pro of using a cheap chinese HT, is that it is inexpensive. Any HT
                can be used, and I believe an HT of the big three should be used as they
                have something NONE of the chinese radios or commercial radios have: a
                DC power connector! The amateur HTs with power connectors usually accept
                anything from 6 volts to 14 volts. This way you do not have to use silly
                power converters and other junk that cause noise. In other words, in
                simplifies the All-star-link setup.

                Another pro of using an HT is that the antenna is already attached, and
                the radio it self is smaller. This also lends to a smaller coverage
                area, which is just fine for around the home, or hotel room.

                The pro of using a mobile radio, is allowing further range, and talk
                time. HT's, unless running at their lowest power setting, will get
                *very* hot, really fast, using their high power setting. Anytime you are
                connected to another All-star-link node and the other side is talking,
                your node radio is transmitting and heating up.

                Either way you choose, folks are here to help you along the way, all you
                have to do is ask!

                ~Benjamin, KB9LFZ

                On Sat, 2017-05-27 at 18:41 -0400, Kevin Roberts kcrpine@... [W4CVY]
                wrote:

                > Hello everyone, you know, I always wanted to know how to build an
                > allstar node. I have read up on the allstar website, and I even have
                > an allstar account. And I am wondering, does the uv888 radio have a
                > voice chip in it for it to talk through menues and to be able to have
                > a talk in programming of the radio. Just wondering. Because I am not
                > sure if the radio that I have, is allstar compatible. I personally
                > think, is it be a good thing to build. And learn how to build one as
                > well.thanks. Kevin Roberts ps The reason why I am asking these
                > questions, it's because I am a blind ham, who uses Screenreader
                > technology to do stuff. Is why I was asking. Thanks. Kevin Roberts.
                >
                > Sent from my iPhone
                >
                > On May 27, 2017, at 12:41 AM, Barry Odum ak4py@... [W4CVY]
                > <W4CVY@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                >

                > > I think this is an excellent idea, Chris! Is anyone else interested
                > > in building AllStar nodes? For those that may not know what this
                > > is, AllStar is an open source IP based radio linking network. It is
                > > a lot like IRLP and EchoLink, but has some pretty good advantages.
                > > For one, it is possible to remotely control a rig through AllStar.
                > > With the other technologies, you cannot control a rig remotely
                > > without using other means. For this project, we would be creating
                > > portable hotspot AllStar nodes. This is a good way to get indoor
                > > coverage for your HT. You could link your node to another AllStar
                > > resource and then use your HT all over the world. These nodes are
                > > handy for travelers too.
                > >

                > > Barry Odum, AK4PY
                > > CARC President
                > > Columbus, Georgia
                > >
                > > On May 26, 2017, at 1:19 PM, Chris Hood chris@chrishoodb log.com
                > > [W4CVY] <W4CVY@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                > >

                > > > I have an idea. For future build.
                > > > What if we built an Allstar node using the uv888 radio.
                > > >

                > > > One month buy and build the RA-35 radio interface. (Kit is 35
                > > > bucks.)
                > > >

                > > > Next month build cables and connect to radios.
                > > > (21 bucks)
                > > >

                > > > Next month connect everything to a Rpi3 and load software.
                > > > (35 bucks = raw board / 70 bucks = entire kit with enclosure,
                > > > power supply and heat synchs)

              • Johannes Claassens
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 4, 2017
                  Barry and Chris

                  I am interested to take part in this building project!

                  Thanks for making this happen.

                  Johann N5JN
                  Sent from my iPad