Re: "Have You" by W. H. Daniels

  • Sharon Pacione
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2004
      John:

      I love sharing other poetry as well as my own. I often open a book
      at random (poetry and other)and the words of this poem touched me,
      so it wanted to be shared. I loved that it was written so close
      to the time I came into this world ('46) and that W. H. Daniels
      had the same thoughts almost 60 years ago as I have now.

      Sending love to all,
      Sharon 444

      --- In VoicesOfThePhilosophersStone@yahoogroups.com, "john mcgrath"
      <ompapa@e...> wrote:
      > Yes! I have done that... All of it... I am so disappointed that
      this is not your poem... I was so enthused for you, as I read on I
      was planning my comment so happily... It is a fine verse of
      course... Blessings, Ompapa
      Daniels

      > HAVE YOU?
      >
      > My friend, have you heard the song of a bird
      > In the dawn of a morn fair and bright,
      > With the dew on the rose and the skies all aglow
      > Bidding farewell to the night?
      > Have you seen a lark rise singing up to the skies,
      > A song of pure sweetness untold,
      > As he tells the whole world that day has unfurled
      > And bathed all the hillsides in gold?
      >
      > My friend, have you stood in the depths of a wood
      > With the breeze through the trees in your hair,
      > Where the scent of the pine is a perfume divine,
      > Found the sweetest of nature was there?
      > Have you sat by a brook in a cool shady nook
      > While the stream just gurgled along,
      > And the butterflies there cleved the pure sparkling air
      > While all nature seemed lifted in song?
      >
      > My friend, have you seen the broad ocean agleam
      > In the calm and the balm of an eve,
      > When the sea and the sun were just blending in one,
      > As daylight was taking its leave?
      > There are things for us here in this Godgiven sphere
      > Untouched and above man's abuse,
      > 'Twixt sky, sea and sod are the wonders of God,
      > And each one is here for our use.
      >
      > by W. H. Daniels
      > from the book
      > "Poetry on the Air"