Marianne Williamson Quote Often Attributed to Nelson Mandela - Emerson Poem

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2004

      The following Marianne Williamson quote is often attributed to Nelson Mandela,
      often stated as being used in his May 10, 1994 inaugural address. However, a
      check of his speeches shows no mention of this quote, so how it became
      attributed to him is anybody's guess. Here's a page you might like to look at regarding this. Interesting info here about Ralph Waldo Emerson's "Success"
      poem too. (Scale down about 3/4 of the way for the Marianne Williamson for
      the Marianne Williamson info).

      Click here: In Search of Success
      http://www.chebucto.ns.ca/Philosophy/Sui-Generis/Emerson/success.htm

      Here is the famous Marianne Williamson quote. I have also included the
      paragraphs immediately following the most often used quoted text because
      those words also have special meaning and carry the thoughts to fruition.

      The following is from the book: "A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles
      of A Course in Miracles" by Marianne Williamson, first published in 1992, re-published in January 1996. The following paragraphs are from pages 190/192
      of the 1996 edition, however, the words are the same in both editions and
      are in the chapter entitled "Work: sub-section 3".

      "As I interpret the Course, 'our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.'  We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
      gorgeous, talented, fabulour? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child
      of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened
      about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all
      meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God
      that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our
      own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
      As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

      A miracle worker is an artist of the soul. There's no higher art than living a good
      life. An artist informs the world of what's available behind the masks we all wear.
      That's what we're all here to do. The reason so many of us are obsessed with
      becoming stars is because we're not yet starring in our own lives. The cosmic
      spotlight isn't pointed at you; it radiates from within you. I used to feel like I
      was waiting for someone to discover me, to "produce" me, like Lana Turner at
      the drugstore. Ultimately I realized that the person I was waiting for was myself.
      If we wait for the world's permission to shine, we will never receive it. The ego
      doesn't give that permission. Only God does, and He has already done so. He
      has sent you here as His personal representative and is asking you to channel
      His love into the world. Are you waiting for a more important job? There isn't one.

      There is a plan for each of us, and each of us is precious. As we open our
      hearts more and more, we're moved in the directions in which we're supposed
      to go. Our gifts well up inside of us and extend of their own accord. We
      accomplish effortlessly.

      How could Leonardo da Vinci not have painted? How could Shakespeare not
      have written? In Letters to a Young Poet, Rilke tells a young write to write
      only if he has to. We are to do what there is a deep psychological and
      emotional imperative for us to do. That's our point of power, the source of
      our brilliance. Our power is not rationally or willfully called forth. It's a divine
      dispensation, an act of grace.  ~~~~~~~~~~~~end~~~~~~~~~~~~~

      from the book: "A Return to Love" by Marianne Williamson"

      Submitted in the spirit of peace and love,
      Sharon 444
      *Sharon Pacione*