(Panhala) Everything by Mary Oliver

  • coronaborealis444
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 12, 2013
      Everything

      I want to make poems that say right out, plainly,
      what I mean, that don't go looking for the
      laces of elaboration, puffed sleeves.  I want to
      keep close and use often words like
      heavyheartjoysoon, and to cherish
      the question mark and her bold sister

      the dash.  I want to write with quiet hands.  I
      want to write while crossing the fields that are
      fresh with daises and everlasting and the
      ordinary grass.  I want to make poems while thinking of
      the bread of heaven and the
      cup of astonishment; let them be

      songs in which nothing is neglected,
      not a hope, not a promise.  I want to make poems
      that look into the earth and the heavens
      and see the unseeable.  I want them to honor
      both the heart of faith, and the light of the world;
      the gladness that says, without any words, everything.

      ~ Mary Oliver ~
      (New and Selected Poems Volume Two)

      Web version: www.panhala.net/Archive/Everything.html

      Web archive of Panhala postings: