Looking for a Poet

  • Steve Toth
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2013
      LOOKING FOR A POET

      When you were little you wanted things
      Then you learned to point & make noises
      but that was indirect & too easily ignored
      Therefore you started learning language
      so you could ask for things by name
      & before you knew it
      you couldn't even think without words

      Where can you find a functioning poet
      in case something needs expressing?
      Is reading words to pick up information
      like watching pieces of wood float by
      to learn everything about a river
      except how fast the water goes?
      Are things best known by their opposites?

      What can words tell you about
      something as personal as your own death?
      When words get done with death it sounds
      like nothing but an out of work actor
      hired to play the part in a skeleton suit
      who beckons you with a boney finger
      Come take a look into

      The
      Mirror
      which
      Flatters
      not

      When you `re digging a hole for yourself
      words crowd around like hungry gulls
      but when you're feeling something wonderful
      nary a word comes to mind
      Well wash my mouth out with language
      Here you are looking for a poet
      but stumble instead upon a human being

      Have you ever been reading a poem
      like this one & then suddenly realized
      the poem is talking directly to you?
      How did this morning's amazing insight
      turn into this evening's tired cliché?
      As for language I can take it or leave it
      or dish it out & I can stop any time I like

      Steve Toth